Floor Offset - Plan Display

JKEdmo

Go to solution Solved by DBCooper,

Good morning,

Quick question - I have a 6" sunken living room.  I've managed to model it with the step down:

image.thumb.png.4d998ccaa8924e7e597b013c67e8fd91.png.

But, shouldn't Chief show the step(s) down in plan view?

image.thumb.png.18d08e5970bcfbe69220bc99ab811f97.png

Do I have a certain layer turned off or should I just draw CAD lines to represent?

Thanks again,

Jim

10 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Just add a "Room Polyline to the Living Room on the left.

However, that's a terrible design just asking for someone to stumble or trip. 

Joe, thanks for quick reply.  Will do.

Just to clarify, Chief will not represent step down in plan view on its own and CAD line needs to be added?  Seems a bit strange but now that I know I can live with.

Agree it's an "ankle buster", but it's an existing house I'm drawing up.

Jim

image.thumb.png.ad83270176736235c5bb6d38d496aafd.png

• Solution

So I assume that you used room dividers or invisible walls to split the rooms.  You could just turn on the layer, but then you will get two lines for the walls which is probably not what you want.

So one thing you could do is use a railing instead of an invisible wall.  Tell the railing it is "open", turn off the newel posts, and turn off the top/bottom rail.  You should just have a single line showing you where the floor height changes.

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

So one thing you could do is use a railing instead of an invisible wall.  Tell the railing it is "open", turn off the newel posts, and turn off the top/bottom rail.  You should just have a single line showing you where the floor height changes.

Thanks for the other option.  Yes, I used room dividers.

Still trying to understand how Chief does horizontal section (i.e. plan) display/view ranges.  From what I can tell it's mainly hard-wired and does not allow user override and sometimes you just need to know the best technique for what you want to show.

Jim

10 minutes ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

Whoever built that house may not have thunk about the people who drink. :lol:

If everything flows downhill at least you'll always wake up in the living room!

So somebody downvoted my "solution", anonymously of course, so I am really not sure why.  

I do believe my solution will work and I still think it is better than just drawing cad lines.  You could probably even save this railing type to the library for reuse if you need this often.  It might be nice if Chief gave us a better solution or even gave us controls over floor break lines using layers, but until then, this is the only workaround I have found.  If someone thinks that they have a better solution, I would love to learn about it.

9 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

So somebody downvoted my "solution", anonymously of course, so I am really not sure why. 

Huh - go figure.  I used your solution and seemed to work quite well as a "true" 3d solution w/o CAD linework.  There's just no pleasing people I guess.

Jim

18 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

Don'tcha love it? Lol, I see those randomly tossed reddies that don't seem to make sense, and when I get them I assume the person actually went for the greenie and accidentally clicked on the wrong button. At least that's what I tell myself... :lol: