Mono to mono w/stepdown breaks the shared footing

plannedRITE

Go to solution Solved by Renerabbitt,

When a new foundation (mono pour) is attached to an existing dropped mono foundation (such as a patio), the shared foundation wall between the two tends to always follow the defaults of the lower floor/foundation. This causes the footing to display improperly in plan AND 3D views. 

The situation where we consistently run into this is with additions that are built up against an existing patio and the addition will be a mono pour (though there are still issues when the addition is a stem wall footing). 

We draw the existing first, with the livable rooms on floors 1 & 0 along with their footing walls generally as pour 1 and then the patio room on floors 1 & 0 along with their footing walls as pour 2. Then we add the addition with it's rooms & footings marked as pour 3. The shared footing between the addition and the patio marked as pour 3 to try to tell Chief what room that footing should look at.

As you can see in the pictures here, the shared footing wall will drop down, which affects the wall above as well. In a plan view, each of that footing wall is reversed.

I've had this show correctly on occasion but it seems to be the luck of the draw...which is why I feel that there is a setting that I have selected on occasion? Guidance would be greatly appreciated, I've attached this example plan in the drive link..thank you all.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XlI-C1x_CO0RCo0Kf9BjaZDeRwyNqAvR/view?usp=drive_link
image.png.64d8f4c8b3a13ed30338b17a38dbfa49.pngimage.thumb.png.5dc2d0febfed4c743d915ffd653d4bb5.png

2 hours ago, SNestor said:

Just a quick guess...but, you don't have your foundation defaults set to use a "monlithic slab". 

2023-06-06_19-39-54.thumb.png.e404d6c5da76115b637eb342dfc77234.png

This uses both "walls with footings" as well as the mono slab and isn't automatically built. Unfortunately, that does not fix the issue here.

Back to workarounds but I have it displaying correctly. Chief needs to allow us to choose what room a wall will pull its properties from, that would fix this issue and others that result in manual workarounds.

All of the mono pour areas (rooms and footings) have to be set to the same pour number (though this is incorrect).
image.thumb.png.0c0aba37e008fb06c787f45ec2e7ab14.pngimage.thumb.png.7b76c1bf5a6cc5380faefef1ad9b7384.png
Then the shared walls footing height has to be set 4" shorter.
image.thumb.png.f7fb440e95685c44e464f1b32e8d52bf.png
Then you have to manually drag the bottom of floor 1's wall up 4". The corner that stays down also has to be manually dragged up 4". This is an issue with lowered mono slabs across Chief.
image.thumb.png.3a0148584ce54f9b290f800a648ec1c3.pngimage.thumb.png.9a9d39d57d4f8c80626b0483c5c052d1.png

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, plannedRITE said:

Chief needs to allow us to choose what room a wall will pull its properties from

That is the direction of the wall.   Ie interior or exterior side of the wall.

seeing how you have already gotten a downvote you may want to refrain from marking your own answer as the correct answer unless it is the chief recommended way.

4 minutes ago, rgardner said:

That is the direction of the wall.   Ie interior or exterior side of the wall.

seeing how you have already gotten a downvote you may want to refrain from marking your own answer as the correct answer unless it is the chief recommended way.

You're, of course, correct in that that is how it should behave (and almost always does). Unfortunately, that is not always the case. This situation is a good example of that, setting the exterior side in the correct orientation (or even reversing it as a test) does not change the wall/footing from grabbing properties from the patio (incorrect).

Seeing that there is no chief recommended way (if anyone would like to show me otherwise I would be ecstatic!), the downvote is pretty darn unhelpful.

• Solution
21 minutes ago, plannedRITE said:

Seeing that there is no chief recommended way

your patio pour number should not superceded that of the higher elevation slab, its a priority, not an order of operations.
also..mark me as solved, haha

8 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

your patio pour number should not superceded that of the higher elevation slab, its a priority, not an order of operations

Interesting, that's a breakthrough for me. I haven't seen that documented anywhere but that will probably fix a number of foundation issues I've brought on myself. That explains the first part of the issue I've had.

As for the second issue of that stem wall/footing between the 2 pours, is there a chief recommended way (that you've seen) to have it built at the correct elevation? Instead of having it drop down like so:
image.thumb.png.947dd43712f4e16b66dfd6ee1aff743d.pngimage.thumb.png.2f4e4d191556fdaaf76344915dcc9a9b.png

18 minutes ago, plannedRITE said:

As for the second issue of that stem wall/footing between the 2 pours, is there a chief recommended way (that you've seen) to have it built at the correct elevation? Instead of having it drop down like so:

any reason not to change the footing height for that wall?
image.thumb.png.7afb857e199bd7cf8359139a15dcb988.png

22 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

any reason not to change the footing height for that wall?
image.thumb.png.7afb857e199bd7cf8359139a15dcb988.png

I sure can, that's part of the workaround. Change that height and manually drag the bottom of the wall on floor 1 up. But that's a big part of this overall issue, that the footing and stem isn't following the floor height of the room that it should (in theory) be assigned to. 

29 minutes ago, plannedRITE said:

I sure can, that's part of the workaround. Change that height and manually drag the bottom of the wall on floor 1 up. But that's a big part of this overall issue, that the footing and stem isn't following the floor height of the room that it should (in theory) be assigned to. 

I didnt manually drag anything

image.thumb.png.907c2f61d8b94dc98531894ffb88edd8.png

1 minute ago, plannedRITE said:

What did you change exactly? Mine won't build like that but continues to build as I screenshot in my last comment.

take your patios..level 1, and set to pour/frame 4..(dont need to do this on fnd level)
then select your fnd wall, and set to 18" footing height