Can we lock the camera target?

Renerabbitt

26 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

I want to lock the camera end, and subsequently the focal distance for using focal blur.

Can't LOCK it, just get real religious about using 3D Focus on Point/Object - that sets focal point and is ideal for using focal blur.
But yeah, once you nudge the camera it's pretty much guaranteed to move.

Are you sure you want to lock the "focal point" (or "target") because it sounds like you really just want to lock the "focal distance"?

I don't think you can "lock" either per se, but if you use the right camera tools, it won't move (or it will move the way you want it to).

For example, if you move the camera in or out using "i" and "o" hotkeys, you will move the camera closer to or farther from the focal point without moving its location.   If you move the camera forward or backward using "f" and "b", you will move both the camera and target along a line and keep the focal distance the same.

None of the camera orbit tools will move either the focal point or focal distance.  They will just rotate the camera around the focal point.

The pan camera tools will keep the same focal distance but they will move the focal point sideways (or up/down) the same amount as the camera.  The tilt camera tools do basically the opposite of the orbit tools but they will also keep the same focal distance.  

19 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

target

this...and Im never going to stop using my 3dmouse, haha, so those arent options. Helpful for someone else though

1 hour ago, TeaTime said:

3D Focus on Point/Object

Close but not quite what Im looking for.. this frames an object in view and then moves the focal distance again once you move the camera

15 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

this frames an object in view and then moves the focal distance again once you move the camera

15 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

and Im never going to stop using my 3dmouse

Yeah, that's the issue - these comments are in conflict in regards to how Chief sets and uses focal point. Using a standard mouse I would say a combination of 3D Center Camera on Point and Mouse Dolly Camera would (I think) do what you're asking: as you glide forward, the focal point/distance is locked and moves with the camera. While using the mouse wheel to Zoom locks only the focal point, changing the Distance.

ex: if you set F-Stop to 1 and Focal Distance very low like 48", then use Center on Point on an object, using Mouse Dolly, you'll see the in-focus zone glide over the object, staying the same distance relative to the camera, however using the mouse wheel to zoom, the object will remain in focus a you zoom in and out.

So, using a standard mouse your first comment is false--or, just not explicitly true. But I'm not exactly sure how the 3D Mouse treats movement - I would think it would be more akin to Dolly movement, but I've not ever played with them for any amount of time to be sure.

Either way! Because the focal point/depth is likely to change as you navigate around, 3D Center on Point specifically is probably still your best bet, at least to set your Focal Point & Depth. Rotating the camera (mouse-Tilt) at that point, everything at that distance will be in that focal range. So, it's not IDEAL for what I think you're probably aiming for, but having watched your videos and seeing how you move around I would say to set that as a hotkey/wheel command and just use it to set focal distance. Make grand camera movements to set the scene, set the focal depth, then make slight adjustments to move the camera as needed to frame the shot you're looking for.