Duplicating Floor Plan View - Issues with Layout

DefinedDesign

I duplicated my Floor Plan View and Titled it 'Floor Plan View Rough Opening'.  In the 'Floor Plan View' I added auto exterior dimensions centered on openings and walls and sent it to layout.  My problem occurs when I open the 'Floor Plan View Rough Opening' and I change the defaults to find the rough openings it is changing my auto exterior dimensions in the layout for the 'Floor Plan View Rough Opening'.  

I want to be able to send both dimensioned Views to the same layout page.  My plan is tiny and having centered and rough opening dimensions all in one plan view creates a jumbled mess.  My solution (so I thought) would be to create two plan views and have one auto dimension to centers and the other to rough openings and surfaces.  

Any thoughts on how to do this correctly?

Also just discovered when I'm in 'Floor Plan View Shell' and remove the Center Line dimensions I created it is removing them from the Layout created from the 'Floor Plan View'

It seems like all my plan view dimensions are related no matter what View they come from, is this the case?  If yes, is there a creative way to dimension my views differently?

it sounds like you only have one dimension default and you are changing it, and both plan views are using the same one

if that is the case you should probably create a new dimension default set and save it to your new view.

my roof view:

image.thumb.png.826ac7ef79f806cc6828b2c0f30e8d8b.png

my floor view

image.thumb.png.bef16dfefeb76b01374aa749b9c18cba.png

4 hours ago, SHCanada2 said:

it sounds like you only have one dimension default and you are changing it, and both plan views are using the same one

if that is the case you should probably create a new dimension default set and save it to your new view.

my roof view:

image.thumb.png.826ac7ef79f806cc6828b2c0f30e8d8b.png

my floor view

image.thumb.png.bef16dfefeb76b01374aa749b9c18cba.png

Thanks Jason, I tried creating a copy of the 1/4" default set and renamed it, but this caused even more issues.  I couldn't get the default set to stick to either view, it would always change to whatever default dimension set I selected to both views.  

On 5/15/2023 at 10:03 PM, SHCanada2 said:

maybe post a video.

as well make sure your active defaults show the new default: (on the right below)

image.thumb.png.66aab8e87f52f875508abe25ab881072.png

How does one go about showing the active defaults on the right?  This is what my toolbar looks like out of the box from CA:

146149089_ScreenShot2023-05-17at11_11_53AM.thumb.png.a1d0b90dc00cf81a6180c2ad92bc143f.png

If I remember right, the automatic dimension defaults did not work the same back in X12.  If you want to have different dimensions in different views, I think you have to turn off the "auto refresh" otherwise it will change your existing dimensions.  You could then manually generate the dimensions separately for the different views and put them on separate layers to keep them independent.