As Built Wall Measurements-Brick Exterior

LotzCC

My use of Chief always involves creating an as built drawing of an existing house. The starting point is almost always a plat of survey in which the the footprint of a house is dimensioned to the face of the exterior foundation walls, or from my measurement of the face of the foundation wall. It looks like Chief builds walls from the exterior side of the framing dimension. Since this almost always aligns with the face of the foundation, this is not a problem with some walls. With brick, the foundation face is aligned with the the face of the brick, but Chief is still building the wall to the face of the framing. I can adjust my drawing's actual dimension of an existing structure by doing the math of the brick facing, or creating a point to point dimension to the brick face corners/ends and adjusting the wall location by entering the actual dimension on the point to point. This is an extra step I would prefer not to spend time on. 

Is there a setting that applies wall length drawing or temporary dimensions to the face of the brick?

Also, is there a setting to automatically build the brick foundation wall with the correct wall type and not what is defaulted for a standard siding wall? Seems like auto foundation build would automatically increase the the thickness of a brick foundation wall and it's corresponding footer dimension. I'm have to manually adjust this also.

2 hours ago, LotzCC said:

Is there a setting that applies wall length drawing or temporary dimensions to the face of the brick?

Out of the box, Chief will dimension to the face of the framing layer. You can change this to whatever layer you want.

941066024_ScreenShot2023-04-10at1_24_24PM.thumb.png.91b7e6d2897db388e8c32ed578b4ee24.png

Also, is there a setting to automatically build the brick foundation wall with the correct wall type and not what is defaulted for a standard siding wall?

If you're getting ready to draw a brick building, first go into the Edit > Default Settings > Walls > Exterior Wall, and specify that wall type. Also set the Dimension To Exterior Of Layer there as well. Then everything will automatically work how you want.

563358076_ScreenShot2023-04-10at1_31_40PM.thumb.png.a3c20063f8dff2b84c1e2a3c3325b575.png

I'm have to manually adjust this also.

You should always set up all your defaults to the specific job before you start drawing, to prevent making a lot of manual adjustments afterward.

Thanks to all responses.

The "Dimension to" setting is exactly what I was looking for.

I am setting wall defaults, and that is not my issue. If I have structure with more than one wall type such as some walls with brick facing and others with siding, the requires a thicker foundation wall than the siding wall. I see I can set the foundation wall default thickness, but for only one thickness. When I use the build a foundation tool, all foundation walls are built using the default foundation thickness. Is there a setting to automatically increase the foundation thickness to match the 1st floor wall type?

8 minutes ago, LotzCC said:

If I have structure with more than one wall type such as some walls with brick facing and others with siding, the requires a thicker foundation wall than the siding wall.

I am not familiar with that. Where I come from the foundation wall is always just one thickness.

"Is there a setting to automatically increase the foundation thickness to match the 1st floor wall type?"

Do you see anything in the wall specification that looks like it might address this?  Look again.  Examine every aspect of the wall specs.  Very deep subject, as there are many panels to examine.  And when you get into wall type definitions, look again at all that is there.  It was where you found which layer responds to dimensions.

I can give you the short answer, which is no, but maybe now is the time to take a deep dive into how Chief does walls, so as to help build your skills in Chief.