Walls overlapping cabinets - what's happening and how can I fix this?

SueKurtzInterior

I'm still pretty new to Chief Architect, but I don't remember this happening before. This is a simple little bathoom plan and when I try to draw a wall next to the 36" full height cabinet, the wall overlaps and the measurement reads 4". My wall is an interior-4 wall, nothing special. I do have a countertop sitting between the base cabinet and the upper part of it (which I drew as a wall cabinet and just pulled down); it's a custom countertop and sitting right where it's supposed to, so I don't think that's the problem. What am I doing wrong? (plan for another ID and I'm just drawing it for her)

2023-4-3 Davis Residence GB.plan

Like Chris, I am not sure what the problem is.  If you draw an interior wall next to the cabinet, it looks fine to me.  Maybe you can post of picture of the problem you are seeing?

On a side note, I noticed that you removed the left stile from your upper cabinet.  This will leave some holes in the left side so you might want to put that back.  You might also want to remove the splash from the lower cabinet as well.  Neither of these are going to be a big deal in an elevation view but they are noticeable from the left side.

left side.png

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

Like Chris, I am not sure what the problem is.  If you draw an interior wall next to the cabinet, it looks fine to me.  Maybe you can post of picture of the problem you are seeing?

On a side note, I noticed that you removed the left stile from your upper cabinet.  This will leave some holes in the left side so you might want to put that back.  You might also want to remove the splash from the lower cabinet as well.  Neither of these are going to be a big deal in an elevation view but they are noticeable from the left side.

Thanks for catching that DBCooper! I think I deleted the stile when I was trying to figure out something with the wall, and I DID remove the backsplash from the lower part of the tall cabinet, but I pulled a custom countertop across it and forgot it there! Appreciate the catch. But when I added it (and changed cabinet back to 36" ... it said 36-1/16??) it's sticking out now. Do I need it with the wall next to it, or what do I do? Other than learn cabinets better, which I'm working on. ;-\

Here is what I'm seeing with the wall. It's a 4.5" wall but overlapping something. The cabinet is showing as white and not part of whatever it is that tinted, but when I click on it, it's also overlapping. Re-attaching plan with wall.

wall error.jpg

Stile sticking out.jpg

2023-4-3 Davis Residence GB.plan

Ok, this was a bit of a fun challenge (even though it really shouldn't have been which is probably half my fault and half Chief).

Before you try and move anything around, you should probably open up each cabinet and set the width back to 36" instead of 36 1/16".

The cabinets are indeed overlapping the wall but they are still connected to it which makes them move when you move the wall.  One way to solve this, is to just move the wall to the left something like 2' and then move the cabinets back to the right at least 4" to unstick them from the wall.   If you move them over different amounts it might make it easier to figure out which one you have selected.

Once the cabinets are not stuck to the wall, you can then move them into their proper position against the other cabinets.  The most accurate way to do this is with dimensions.  When you click on a cabinet, near the right side, you should get a temp dimension to the filler on the right and setting that distance to 0" will make sure it is up tight against the filler.  You might need to click around the right side to get the right temp dimension and/or use tab to make sure you have the right cabinet.  You will need to do this for both cabinets.

Once the cabinets are both sized correctly and up tight against the filler on the right, you should be able to just drag the wall up tight against the cabinets.  At this point, things should all be in their proper places.  If you don't want the wall up tight against the cabinets, for example if you want space for a filler or extended stile then move the wall using the dimensions so that it is held away how far you want it.

So your upper cabinet is still marked as not having a left stile but it has a left stile extend.  In Chief world, this will probably work strange.  You will have better luck if you give it a default left stile and then specify a left stile extend that is the amount that the actual stile will stick out past the end of the cabinet box.

As for the custom counter with the backsplash, there is no good way to only have a portion of a custom counter have a backsplash.  You can control edge moldings for each edge so you can always add break points and turn the molding on/off wherever you want.  In your case, you may want to just turn off the backsplash by turning it off in your base cabinets, and then adding a backsplash manually.

Hope this helps, if this isn't clear or you are still having problems, then just ask more questions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SueKurtzInterior said:

Ok I see now. In your General Wall Defaults, you have Resize About set to Main Layer Outside. The Main Layer in your wall definition is the framing layer, so when you click to draw a wall right next to the cabinet, the program is snapping the framing layer to the cabinet, leaving your 1/2" drywall layer overlapping.

Change the setting to Outer Surface and the wall will snap to the cabinet at the drywall layer:

883836284_ScreenShot2023-04-03at2_34_01PM.thumb.png.c5e95496d398fc8184688016af265d77.png

• Like 1

DBCooper and Chris ... THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! And thank you for the video!!! I fixed all you pointed out and a few more things I noticed. Interestingly, before I changed the General Wall Default to Outer (great save for a later problem I'm sure), the wall stopped overlapping. I think it had something to do with the custom countertop or the stile issue. I turned off all countertop and backsplashes on all cabinets and squared off the corner ... thank you for showing me that Chris ... I had done a work-around and it was only so-so. To get the backsplash across the lower cabinets only, I duplicated and reshaped the custom countertop and pushed it into place so that worked. ALSO, IT TURNS OUT, the lower half of the tall cabinet got crooked somehow and that was causing issues with the dimensions as well. My wall is still sticking to the cabinet, pulling it along if I move it, but it's in place and all is well. THANK YOU!!!

You have an interesting mix of box types along the vanity run.  The drawer stacks are frameless, while the sink bases are faceframed with only a 3/8" overlap for doors and drawerfronts.  Is this the look you want?  Whoever quotes the cabinets will sure want to know.

I never place a cabinet adjacent a wall (or adjacent a deeper cabinet) without doing an extended stile (if faceframed) or a filler (when frameless) to give a little extra clearance for doors and drawerfronts when opened.  You might want to consider that here.