Custom Doorway Design

since1937

Hello! I'm trying to figure out how to create this custom doorway design from family to dining room. Any recommendations?

Lindsay

Chief Premier X14, MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019), 2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

IMG_3180.jpg

Likely there would be a few ways you could do the but unfortunately not with the door tools.

Create a symbol with the jamb and casing using moldings and insert it into the wall.

Or use two transparent backsplashes to create a hole on each side of the wall and then trim it out with jamb and casing moldings and it would remain live and editable but a little fiddly with all those components occupying essentially the same space but also the advantage of having snap points from the backsplashes.

Good luck and I hope you can make it look as good as the picture.

image.thumb.png.f067d00b4dcaeb4254e8789f36a5d46e.png

If you are not looking for 100% accuracy you may be able to edit one of the standard doorways in the library and get close to what you want.

This one started out as the Trefoil Doorway 2 (on the left).

I couldn't get all of the radiuses, but got close - Chief won't do a convex arch.

The beauty of using a doorway is that it comes with casings and all the other options that doorways have.

Screenshot 2023-02-19 at 10.05.57 am.jpg

Here's what I would likely do:

1. Paste the picture into a blank elevation view
  2. Create the outline shape of the door using CAD tools
  3. Either convert the resulting polyline to a molding line and apply moldings OR create a full outline of the entire frame and convert to a solid.
  4. Select the resulting object(s) and Convert Selected to Symbol
  5. Click on the Options tab of the resulting symbol and set to Inserts into Wall along with the appropriate distance.
  6. Drop the symbol into a wall
  7. In an elevation view, select the symbol, and adjust the Wall Cutout Polyline so that it follows the shape of the symbol.
  8. Place an overlapping Doorway in the same location to provide a proper cutout at the floor and to optionally provide the desired trimmers and header.

Here's a plan with a fully functional example:

552558546_Pic2.thumb.jpg.9d3afff97762f26ea6b49c8708f0eb9a.jpg1635288788_Pic1.thumb.jpg.c340dd5cdfc2330c32bf82913d4de016.jpg

Doorway.plan

Note:  I didn't adjust the framing.  The extent to which framing may need to be manually adjusted depends on your Doorway settings and on how they may relate to the Wall Cutout Polyline.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1