can't bump elements with arrow key or space bar

kmscott

Hello! I'm using Chief Architect Premier X14 Student Version and am not super computer savvy. I've been using Chief for less than 6 months and have always been able to move an element by using the arrow key when I just want to move an object a smidge. For example, I used the space planning function and had the software build the walls for me. The walls or doors need to move over just a hair and I can't get it precise by dragging the wall with the mouse. I used to be able to use the arrow key to just bump it.  I think I accidentally set something up under a default, preference or sticky key on accident and turned this function off. I've tried resetting some things back to the "default" but I still can't move doors/walls etc... with the arrow. I've tried googling this, looking up youtube videos, looking on here, and looking in the pdf manual. Since I don't know the correct verbiage to use, I can't find the answer. Thanks.

I am not sure that there is a way to turn that functionality off so it could be a keyboard issue.  Otherwise the distance of the move is set by the "Snap Unit" in General Plan Defaults.   Even if you try to set that to 0 it will default to 1/256" so it may seem like it is not moving if that happened as you likely do not have your dimension defaults set finer than 1/16" so as many as 16 clicks to get a dimension to change possibly.

or just hold down the arrow key for 5 seconds, it should make incremental moves .

The other thing is things will not move if there is something in the way. you could just put a, say dining room table in the middle of nowhere away from your building on your plan and see if you can move that

13 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

I am not sure that there is a way to turn that functionality off so it could be a keyboard issue.  Otherwise the distance of the move is set by the "Snap Unit" in General Plan Defaults.   Even if you try to set that to 0 it will default to 1/256" so it may seem like it is not moving if that happened as you likely do not have your dimension defaults set finer than 1/16" so as many as 16 clicks to get a dimension to change possibly.

I looked into that and it didn't help. I opened up a new plan and it allows me to use my arrows. I definitely must have set up a default on my condo plan and that's why it's not allowing me to move anything with the arrows. I'm going to do a comparison between the two plans and see if I can troubleshoot. Thanks for your reply.

3 minutes ago, kmscott said:

I'm going to do a comparison between the two plans and see if I can troubleshoot. Thanks for your reply.

Good plan.  Please let us know if you find the answer as sometime a reminder like this is all that is needed.

There is a setting in General Plan Defaults that is for doors and windows...   "Ignore Casing When Resizing Wall Openings"    This could be a specific problem.

Most of the edit behavior type setting are in Plan Defaults which will not change from plan to plan.

I couldn't pinpoint it so I highlighted and copied my drawing into a new plan. Now my elements are moving with the arrows again. That was easy! I wish I had thought about that sooner. Thanks again for your help.

Edited by kmscott
better word choice

2 hours ago, kmscott said:

I couldn't pinpoint it so I highlighted and copied my drawing into a new plan. Now my elements are moving with the arrows again. That was easy! I wish I had thought about that sooner. Thanks again for your help.

Interesting.  You may want to submit the corrupt file to tech support so if it is an issue it does not end up in X15.

It is possible that the object did not move because something was in the way, like an object on a hidden layer.  When you selected everything and copied it to a new plan, you might not have copied the thing that was hidden.  

If you still have the problem plan, you could post it here and someone would probably be able to give you a better answer than a guess.  If it's too big, then zip it up or remove things from it that are not relevant to the problem.

Also, just as an FYI, there are lots of ways to move objects:

- drag it using the "move" or "center" handle.

- "nudge" it using the arrow keys.

- drag one of the corner or side handles while holding down the middle mouse.

- start dragging the move handle, then hit the tab key, then you can specify a relative move distance.

- point to point move tool.

- transform/replicate dialog.

- move it an exact distance from something else by first selecting the object and then clicking on the dimension number that you want to change.  This is probably the best way to make sure your dimensions are accurate.  If you don't have a temp dimension locating the object, then sometimes I will add a manual one temporarily.

I am probably forgetting a few more.

• 1 month later...
On 2/10/2023 at 8:35 PM, DBCooper said:

It is possible that the object did not move because something was in the way, like an object on a hidden layer.  When you selected everything and copied it to a new plan, you might not have copied the thing that was hidden.  

If you still have the problem plan, you could post it here and someone would probably be able to give you a better answer than a guess.  If it's too big, then zip it up or remove things from it that are not relevant to the problem.

Also, just as an FYI, there are lots of ways to move objects:

- drag it using the "move" or "center" handle.

- "nudge" it using the arrow keys.

- drag one of the corner or side handles while holding down the middle mouse.

- start dragging the move handle, then hit the tab key, then you can specify a relative move distance.

- point to point move tool.

- transform/replicate dialog.

- move it an exact distance from something else by first selecting the object and then clicking on the dimension number that you want to change.  This is probably the best way to make sure your dimensions are accurate.  If you don't have a temp dimension locating the object, then sometimes I will add a manual one temporarily.

I am probably forgetting a few more.

Thank you for your reply! I'm sorry I am just seeing this. For some reason, the arrow keys wouldn't work it. I could only move it with my mouse. Copying my drawing into a new file worked! Strange. It hasn't gotten stuck like that since. I'm going to check out some of your other ideas you posted for future projects...like point to point, & hitting the tab when I drag the move handle. Thanks!