Kitchen Auto Dimensions

Jake1976

Hey Chief Community! 

I've recently made the switch from 20 years of using Autocad and Revit.  For the most part, I'm really enjoying Chief Architect.  I find that I am able to generate presentable content much quicker.  However, developing those documents throughout the process is chocked full of challenges.  So far, so good, I'm just keeping after it.  I've set up my shortcuts, to mostly coordinate with what I'm used to in Autocad and Revit, and that's helping a lot.    

As I encounter challenges, I'll search the help files, forums and youtube videos, but at that point if I can't find solutions, I'd like to post them on here, to hopefully get past the barriers.  

I'm still trying to understand how the layer states and default sets work, but perhaps if I purchase some quality templates it may help.  I'd very much appreciate your opinions on this.   

One, somewhat small issue that I've come up against is the auto dimensions on the interior elevations aren't working.  Does anyone know why that might be? 

Thank you all and I look forward to how I can also give back to this community as my skill level develops.

Jacob Chavez

J-Chavez Design Build

www.jchavezdesign.com

1 hour ago, Jake1976 said:

As I encounter challenges, I'll search the help files, forums and youtube videos, (nice) but at that point if I can't find solutions, I'd like to post them on here, to hopefully get past the barriers.  

that's what the friendly Chief Forum is for :)  , especially since all the "Tricks of the Trade" aren't in the Docs.

1 hour ago, Jake1976 said:

One, somewhat small issue that I've come up against is the auto dimensions on the interior elevations aren't working.  Does anyone know why that might be? 

Not at all ? or just not what you are expecting to see ?

take some screenshots ( use the Snipping Tool ) and post them directly here into a post......

Mick.

11 minutes ago, Jake1976 said:

Thanks for your replies!  I'm not at my computer until later, but yes, I click and get nothing. 

you are talking about Auto dims in Elevations correct? and not talking about Plan View Rooms Dims.... or ?

You might need to post the plan  or at least a sample plan showing the Issue .  ( must be under 14mb to post AND not open in chief when you attach it.) 

Mick.

21 hours ago, Jake1976 said:

I'm still trying to understand how the layer states and default sets work, but perhaps if I purchase some quality templates it may help.  I'd very much appreciate your opinions on this.   

You can get it by watching videos, searching the forum, and asking questions as they arise. Rather than purchasing templates, I think you're better off gaining the understanding of how the program is designed to function, so you can modify your own templates as your needs change. But that's just my opinion, as I prefer to develop my own working style and flow; others may prefer to follow someone else's flow and that's ok too.

One of the main things you want to focus on is Saved Plan Views (SPVs). This is the core engine that controls your plan development workflow. As you develop Saved Plan Views for your workflow, you will also create specific Custom Layers (including SPV-specific CAD layers), Layer Sets, Saved Dimension Defaults, Saved Text Styles, and possibly Default Sets although those are somewhat of a leftover from versions before SPVs (some still use them as they can make things a little simpler when multiple Saved Plan Views utilize the same Default Set), and more, depending on the requirements to properly execute the view.

It's fairly complex but also powerful. It's a lot to explain, and to digest. Check out this video to get started:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/2421/saved-plan-views.html?playlist=100