Casing between windows incorrect

GeneDavis

I can't tell you why this is programmed this way, but what's happening in the scenario is sort of logical. The mulled window has casing around it's perimeter. The "mullion" has 'trim' that covers the mullion only and is not subject to the reveal settings. The depth of the mullion can be changed. This helps to identify what Chief is building, not why, or how to change it.

Mulled windows or mulled doors have always had casing issues that could be considered minor flaws for elevation drawings on con docs, but are major issues for high quality renderings.

Improvements to all aspects of window / door trim would be welcome, as well as to the modelling of the window units themselves. But I digress.

In the pic below, I adjusted the outside mullion depth to -1". This illustrates that the shape of the mullion is indeed separate of the frame / casing.

image.thumb.png.b0062bdc704d13f70058de8a4a642cb1.png

The only way to get a 'perfect' central trim is to place the windows so the exterior casing is exactly butted between units. In Gene's plan example, that is 5.75" apart. This doesn't behave the same way for all casing widths!

image.thumb.png.0d2656e4b0fbffed3f962c49223f5303.png

I should have been more clear.  This is not a mulled window, in Chief parlance.  They are windows spaced for two framing studs between, so separate openings for the windows.

In my plan, not the little sample I posted, but the plan I need to finish, the windows have wood frames thus my spec setting for the casing overlap (I wish we could specify reveal instead because it is how I think when designing or building trim), and that between-window casing is wider than the surround casing.

I think the Mulling programming is working as expected, and you see what is expected from a "Factory-ganged" window Unit,

the Issue it seems is that, that same programming is affecting the Casing when two window Casings "touch", and Chief does

what I'd call an "auto-mull" using the same Programming (code) as if we had asked for a ganged Unit rather that casing them

separately and need so the overlaps don't disappear.

M.

4 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

Should work the way we trim on site.  I'll detail out a suggestion and post in that part of the forum.

In your suggestion, please make it very clear what you want the program to do. Images of a real world example would be particularly helpful.

1 hour ago, GeneDavis said:

Should work the way we trim on site.  I'll detail out a suggestion and post in that part of the forum.

Oh I don't disagree Gene, it's a pretty common/normal practice, I was just pointing out what I think is happening, which it seems Jacob has confirmed now, but perhaps we could have a "Do not Auto mull Casing check box" , *or other defaults so the auto-mull doesn't use the mulling defaults which we can't access.

M.