Nvidia Driver Help

blayman

Recently, last week my computer crashed. Lucky for me it is a slow time for work, but i've gotten a new HD installed and thought this would be a piece of cake. But no when it rains it pours.

I have an Nvidia graphics and  they no longer support this. I started looking at the responses on chief talk and i see it has been several years they stopped supporting it. I never had any problems over the years so I thought it would just take off and I'd be back drawing in no time. WRONG again!

I'm running a Laptop  MSI QE72  2QD Apache Pro computer with I NVIDIA GTX 960 0M graphics. and from the looks of talk abut the Nvidia upgrades on here I'm lost and need a lot of help.

I really would appreciate any help available (short of buying a new computer)  as I'm computer illeriate when it comes to the inside workings of the computer.

Thank you

Bill Layman

15 minutes ago, blayman said:

I really would appreciate any help available (short of buying a new computer) 

Pretty sure you will not be able to run anything 3D in X14 with a GTX 960.  You may need to roll back to X13 and try that for now.  Not much good for your existing X14 plan files but if you are between projects that might work.  I believe you will need a 10 series card for X14 and if you want to use the RTRT then it needs to be an RTX card preferably a 3070 or better.

On 11/27/2022 at 9:25 AM, blayman said:

Nvidia upgrades on here I'm lost and need a lot of help.

1st thing you check is to see if the Laptop is using the Nvidia card or not in Chief?

image.thumb.png.8ee2080208a2ef96cc9a70747d0ddded.png

If not look at tis old post of mine from 2020

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/29075-making-chief-use-your-nvidia-graphics-card-if-needed/?tab=comments#comment-248117

then you should try turning off GPU Raytracing in Preferences......

image.thumb.png.8948a0b88ccd454166fbd3f3915b1e98.png

but it seems your Laptop only has 2GB of VRAM ( Video Memory ) ,

https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GE72-2QD-Apache-Pro/Specification

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-960m.c2635

Chief recommends at least 4GB nowadays but that doesn't mean it won't run, but you haven't actually said what the Issue is either or what the Error message says etc.?

Though you may have run into the known incompatibility of some DX12 cards with Shader 6 capabilities not having support for a certain subset of DX12 capabilities known as "Extended formats TypedUAVLoad" that the new Chief Lighting engine (x13 on ) now uses .... 

NVIDIA GeForce 700 - 900 Series Graphics Cards

• Products & Versions Affected: Chief Architect X13 and newer, Home Designer 2022 and newer
  • Platform: Windows
  • Description: Some graphics cards, such as the NVIDIA 700 series, may support shader model 6, but may be lacking a critical feature called "Extended formats TypedUAVLoad". If a graphics card does not support this feature the card will not function with newer versions of Chief Architect software. Information on determining if your graphics card supports this feature is available HERE.  <<< LINK
  • Solution: If you have another computer, check to see if it meets the system requirements. Contact Chief Architect for alternative solutions.

4 hours ago, blayman said:

Thanks to all for the assistance.

Looks like I need to go back to my repair people and see about a new driver or  live with using X12, the newest version that I can get to work.

Thanks Again

Bill Layman

A driver won't help if your Videocard has the problem above unfortunately, running the DirectX Capabilities Tool linked above should tell you.

More here too..........

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-03146/identifying-the-shader-model-of-your-graphics-card-in-windows.html

Mick.