Will Chief open newer plan files in older versions of the software?

OldBarnDesign

If you have an X14 .plan/.layout files, will an older version of Chief be able to open them? I presume there would be little to no compatibility here because it can be difficult to make older versions of the software future proof. The older version would have no knowledge of any new capabilities.

I'm asking because if I were to farm out additional work to somebody, I presume they would need to also be on X14 like I am. If they were on say, X12, there would be issues?

Cody

12 minutes ago, OldBarnDesign said:

If you have an X14 .plan/.layout files, will an older version of Chief be able to open them? I presume there would be little to no compatibility here because it can be difficult to make older versions of the software future proof. The older version would have no knowledge of any new capabilities.

I'm asking because if I were to farm out additional work to somebody, I presume they would need to also be on X14 like I am. If they were on say, X12, there would be issues?

Cody

Forward compatibility only.  Once a plan is opened and SAVED in a newer version it can no longer be opened in a previous version.  But if you are farming out your work to someone who does not stay current and have SSA Personally for me that is a red flag regarding their experience level with the software.  Not always but it can be someone who doesn't use it every day like the users who stay current.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, OldBarnDesign said:

Thanks! I figured as much, and it make sense that if a user isn't keeping their SSA active they probably aren't doing enough business/using the software enough to turn things around quickly.

Exactly the point.  Doesn’t mean there aren’t users out there that don’t keep up with and can do the work you need.  It is just a general indicator.

I don't think you should read too much into why a person might be still using an older version.  There could be lots of reasons.  The bottom line is that it might not be worth trying to work with them just because they won't be able to open your plans and would have to redraw them over from scratch.

• 1 year later...

I have rel 9 and someone wants me to modify a drawing done in rel 13.

What can a person do to allow rel 9 to open newer files?

Most CAD file have a way to open previous versions...

14 minutes ago, TGMTom said:

As mentioned nothing can be done.  No backwards compatibility.

24 minutes ago, rgardner said:

As mentioned nothing can be done.  No backwards compatibility.

That really sucks, I now have to make my mind up to continue with Chief or AutoCAD. 

AutoCAD is looking better and better, I hate being forced to upgrade, not everyone can afford it....

So the funny thing is that Chief can do it about as good as all those other "cad" programs.  Just have the person who has the newer version export the plan as a DWG file and then you can import it into your older version.  Easy peasy.

But that's probably not what you want, is it?  The problem is that Chief really isn't a "cad" program.  It's a 3D home design program and if you want an actual Chief model you can work with, then you are going to have to redraw it in your older version.  Kind of a PITA but at least you saved some money.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

So the funny thing is that Chief can do it about as good as all those other "cad" programs.  Just have the person who has the newer version export the plan as a DWG file and then you can import it into your older version.  Easy peasy.

But that's probably not what you want, is it?  The problem is that Chief really isn't a "cad" program.  It's a 3D home design program and if you want an actual Chief model you can work with, then you are going to have to redraw it in your older version.  Kind of a PITA but at least you saved some money.

49 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

The problem is I know nobody in Kelowna who uses Chief.

@DBCooper, nailed it on the head about what could be done with DWG/DXF export import. The time spent on 3D modeling again in a CA earlier version may be worth spending the money on the 50% off 1st year upgrade ??? Especially If it involves more than just a single project.

I don’t know of many 3D/CAD systems that are backwards compatible or what’s involved in the process but worth researching.

In the US the upgrade cost may actually be worth it and could eventually be recuperated too ???