Winder U staircase balustrade: Chief won't do it, right?

GeneDavis

I don't mean Chief won't do it.  What I mean is it cannot do what I want.  Is this correct?

Flight 1 goes to the landing with its railing as an open balustrade, wall under, on its L.  The treads and skirt overhang the under-wall, and the railing resolves into the wall end above.  Make a U-turn at the landing, and proceed up flight 2, same style open balustrade railing on R, this one beginning with a newel at the landing, and the railing resolving into a newel at the top railing.

And I want the flight 1 newel, the bottom newel, on the first tread top, not on the floor.  One of photos, attached, has this config.

It has been a while since I did one of these, and I recall having to do workarounds creating millwork in Sketchup and importing the symbols in and placing things.  The attached pics are photos snipped from Houzz of what I am after, railing-wise, and one of the staircase as I have it initially placed and specified.  Plan file attached, also.

We all know Chief needs some work to be able to do the stairs we want.  Can this be done or am I off to the boards creating millwork?

Screenshot 2022-09-03 115836.jpg

Screenshot 2022-09-03 115620.jpg

Screenshot 2022-09-03 125338.jpg

Screenshot 2022-09-03 125425.jpg

Step down to the view.plan

The wall under the stair should not be a half wall with a wall cap.  That's the main problem I can see in your picture/plan.   If you don't want it to merge with the normal wall where the rail dies into, you can reverse the direction or put it on a different layer.  Once you do this though, Chief will not put dry wall on the end of the normal wall.  The easiest thing to do is cover the wall end with a p-solid.

The wall under the stair is either too long or you should turn off "large stringer base".  Either way, your base molding may not end where you want it to so you might need to put in a filler piece.

I would just manually place the stair newel since the program won't put it on top of the first tread for you.  You also could try modifying a custom symbol to offset the position but I am not sure that is worth the trouble.

If I needed a custom newel post like in any of the pictures above, I would probably just use a soffit with moldings.  You could then convert it into a symbol.

stair 9-22.jpg

This seems pretty straight forward. Can Chief build railing at stairs correctly? Very rarely. But we can using a variety of tools. The simplest is simply to drop in the correct millwork parts in plan view, adjust their heghts in section view, and add a 3d molding(s) for rails / trim.

Is this all ridiculous?...Yes.

I'm not sure why we can't have a simple polyline-to-railing tool or a simple sloped railing tool that is not a wall.

Chief image.thumb.png.1461ce0d2e6d66b9e06880af73bc352c.png

Ramp for railing image.thumb.png.2d069009938417e51eee0a26b1e0d2a9.png

• Like 1