Override Wall Snaps

MikeJG

Is there a way to override the wall snaps?

The picture with the black background is from an Autocad plan I'm trying to duplicate.  The white background picture is from my Chief (X6) plan.

I'm trying to get the 2x6 wall from behind the sink to go the 3 1/4" past the perpendicular wall, then transition to a 2x3 wall.

I've tried turning off object snaps and removing the perpendicular wall, but when I replace it, it keeps snapping back.

I thought there was a setting somewhere for this, but I can't seem to find it.

post-1204-0-46901200-1422278512_thumb.jpgpost-1204-0-80944400-1422278520_thumb.jpg

Placing-locating the wall would be the "easy"part, the remaining problem of placing a door in a space too small to receive it looks like to me to be the problem. (Door objects will only fit precisely between wall breaks and it looks like you do not have sufficient space (width) to also place your door. Aligning the 3" wall can be done by using the "alternate move handles" of the 3" wall (each wall object has end handles on the ends and move handles in its middle, alternate move handles are located between the end handles and center move handles. Using the alternate move handle you can precisely locate a wall relative to another or other walls and override wall snaps but like I say, the problem appears to be the space left for the door which may require several trys to obtain a delicate balance of door and wall.

DJP

Placing-locating the wall would be the "easy"part, the remaining problem of placing a door in a space too small to receive it looks like to me to be the problem. (Door objects will only fit precisely between wall breaks and it looks like you do not have sufficient space (width) to also place your door. Aligning the 3" wall can be done by using the "alternate move handles" of the 3" wall (each wall object has end handles on the ends and move handles in its middle, alternate move handles are located between the end handles and center move handles. Using the alternate move handle you can precisely locate a wall relative to another or other walls and override wall snaps but like I say, the problem appears to be the space left for the door which may require several trys to obtain a delicate balance of door and wall.

DJP

David, I would like to see how you accomplish the wall part. The door I had no problem placing - but the walls seem impossible - specifically the 3-1/4" stub (a longer stub works, but not 3-1/4").

Thanks for the response!

I figured out a work-around.  I shortened the 3" wall to the right by about 18", then extended the 6" wall to the right about 12" so they wouldn't connect.  Then I put a break in the 6" wall at the perpendicular wall and defined the right section as full gable (which is irrelevant on an interior wall) so it wouldn't merge with the left wall.  Then I dragged the end of the right wall back to the CAD line at 3' 8 1/2" and then reconnected the 3" wall.

As you said, I wasn't able to place a door and re-size it to 36", however I could size the door elsewhere and cut and paste it into position.  It's not centered and it won't move, but it's there.

My next question is, why wouldn't the door fit?  The door opening is 3'-2 1/2", plus a jack and stud on each side (1 1/2" each) comes out to 3'-8 1/2".  It should just fit (and it did; this is an existing building).  What am I missing?

David, I would like to see how you accomplish the wall part. The door I had no problem placing - but the walls seem impossible - specifically the 3-1/4" stub (a longer stub works, but not 3-1/4").

Just a thought. What are your grid snaps set at,( mine are always set to 1/4")and always on. Walls will try to adhere to that setting.

Just a thought. What are your grid snaps set at,( mine are always set to 1/4")and always on. Walls will try to adhere to that setting.

1", but I don't normally use grid snaps. Even with grid snaps at 1/4" I still had to "no locate" the wall stub - otherwise the walls auto-heal.

I have mine at 1/4 b/c a typ. stud is 3 1/2 and a 1/4" will get me anywhere I want to place it. Chief once told me that if you have a real low setting, Chief and your computer has to work harder to compute things, That might come in affect in large jobs.