Can Exterior Stair Railings be Offset into Stairs?

ClarkeThrasher

I have a brick stairs going up to a brick porch for which I want simple wrought iron railings.  I am using the fence tools to create the railings for the porch (not wall tools) and the for the stair railings I'm using the railing, newels/balustrade, rail tools within the Exterior Staircase Specification.  I cannot find a way to offset the stair railings into the brick stairs as the newels for this type are typically set with anchor cement into 2" borings in the brick treads, not attached on the sides of the stairs. I tried drawing the railing or fence over the stairs, that did not work.  

Design/Build Home Remodeler since 1985

Use iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) using macOS Monterey 12.5.1

Use CA X12

Kirby Porch Cover from Scratch.pdf

1 hour ago, solver said:

Please post images directly -- no need to make a PDF of an image. This makes it easier for others as an image shows in the forum.

Yeah, vaguely remember this from before but couldn’t figure out how to.

1 hour ago, solver said:

Most of this is already in your signature, although it looks like it needs an update.

Click on your user name at the top right of the page, click Account Settings, then Signature on the left.

Thanks

Same for this, thanks.

1 hour ago, solver said:

You could use a separate stair to generate the railing and place as needed.

ct1.thumb.png.8c31c6487186a16cb6b0e83396caf6e7.png

Ok, so how is this railing in the middle of the stair?

1 hour ago, ClarkeThrasher said:

Ok, so how is this railing in the middle of the stair?

By drawing it manually with the Railing Tool and checking the Box in the Wall's (railing) DBX that says Follow Stairs    ( and turning OFF the Stairs own Railing )

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00082/manually-adding-railings-to-a-staircase.html

Mick.

1 minute ago, solver said:

There is a second stair that's 2" wide with a railing that I centered on the wider stair. Not suggesting this is the best way, just something to consider.

This is a regular go-to for me. Does Chief ever model the railing in the correct position?

2 minutes ago, solver said:

There are 2 stairs in my image. The wide one has no rails. There is a second stair that's 2" wide with a railing that I centered on the wider stair. Not suggesting this is the best way, just something to consider.

I have used that trick myself at times, it works too.

M.