Stairs

Designer1

For me, I think the stairs/railing tools are now my most annoying and antiquated chief tool. They haven't changed much since version 9 and they are so difficult to have control over. Not complaining about chief, I like everything else and the improvements made over time, just the stair/railing tools seem to be noticeably outdated. If you compare the stairs to the rest of chiefs tools that have incrementally improved over time, stairs/railing have seemed to stay relatively the same since version 9.

Ok here are three pictures of issues Im seeing with stairs and the railings. In one pic the newels are double the size of the rest of them on the railing and sizing is identical. Then I decided to reduce the size of the newels thinking it would make them a bit smaller but it breaks them down to two small newels and doesn't match the sizing of the rest. Finally, I decided to delete the newels and in the second picture you can see the railings don't even connect to look realistic. I tried to select all railing sides to have smooth transitions thinking that would make it nice and neat at the top landing but it made no difference. Is there a way to have the same size newels but reduce the number of them to one newel on each side versus two smaller ones on both sides?

Does anyone have any secret stair solutions to better control stairs to achieve a more realistic attractive stair? Thanks for any advice!

post-2210-0-62974100-1422155264_thumb.jpg

post-2210-0-13382100-1422155276_thumb.jpg

post-2210-0-04466800-1422155560_thumb.jpg

Hi Greg,  Thanks for the compliments on the stairs.  Actually my friend David made them.  He actually has a website you can pay to be a subscriber to and get all the neat symbols hes made over the years.  Let me know if your interested and I can give you more information about it.

Perry, thanks for that idea, I forgot about that.  I make the opening the same width as the staircase but in this instance just to get it to look a bit more realistic Im going to adjust the width to whatever I need to, to get it to look better.

Another question about a different aspect of stairs and railing...

Does anyone know how to space or control the number of newels along a railing?  I know you can use doorways to change the numbers but what about if you didn't want a break in the railing you just wanted to have control over the number of newels and where they were placed?  

In this pic, you can see everything looks ok but the newel is directly in the center of the door blocking the view and I didn't necessarily want that look.

Any advice?

post-2210-0-66684600-1422347927_thumb.jpg

Another question about a different aspect of stairs and railing...

Does anyone know how to space or control the number of newels along a railing?  I know you can use doorways to change the numbers but what about if you didn't want a break in the railing you just wanted to have control over the number of newels and where they were placed?  

In this pic, you can see everything looks ok but the newel is directly in the center of the door blocking the view and I didn't necessarily want that look.

Any advice?

When I have porches like this I use a separate symbol (or built-up molding polyline) for the posts/newels, then run individual railings between them to ensure the balusters are evenly spaced. A workaround, but I don't how to accomplish what you want using a railing only.

Heres what Im looking for with this complicated stairway....

1.  Id like to have the stairs closed underneath, however, when I select that in the stair dbx its closed too much and wont allow for a clearance to the stairs leading down stairs.

2.  I like the cable railing and when I drew them on the stairs but when I drag them onto the landing they go haywire.  I don't have 'no railing on edge' selected on the landing dbx, so Im not sure how to accomplish this with a custom railing drawn on the staircase.

3. Since 'closed underneath' staircase was too much closure and I cant adjust how much I want closed I tried to draw a wall underneath but then it causes issues with stair widths etc on the stairs leading below.

Any ideas?  My dream for chief would have been a super overhaul on stairs and railing for X7.  Still on X6 until the final version of X7 comes out.

post-2210-0-15258100-1423268982_thumb.jpg