Custom Stair Railing Balusters

PHDSarah

My client is having a hard time visualizing what it will look like to use this custom stair baluster every fourth straight baluster, like shown. I want to recreate this in chief so they can see it in 3D. Does anyone of an idea of how to create a custom decorative baluster in chief and use it every fourth space?

Appreciate any insight or tips!

Thanks,

Stair Baluster Design elongated diamonds.jpg

It should be possible with a custom Railing PANEL  , you will need to make both Balusters from 3D Solids and then save it as a Symbol.

This KB Article should get you started with the general approach.....

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-02893/creating-custom-balusters-and-railing-panels.html

M.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/18908-signature-here-at-chief-talk/?tab=comments#comment-155662

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PHDSarah said:

Kbird1, thank you for taking the time to share those links! I will give it a try. 

Best,

Sarah

You're welcome, if the Manufacturer of the baluster/spindle has DXF/DWG files that would save the CAD drawing part, you can then convert to a 3D solid and then a Symbol.

Mick.

• Like 1

When I needed to do a railing that had mirrored pairs of balusters repeating along railings and down stair railings, I made a symbol of the mirrored two, and that was my "baluster."  I remember at the time taking a 3D of a Winchester Model 94 30-30 from the 3D Warehouse and making THAT a baluster, also, just to show that anything done in 3D can be a baluster.  The three stooges would be a good one, if you had a low poly model.

You've got a 4-straight-one-patterned repeat, so that group of 5 solids is your baluster.  Show us your results, please.  We're anxious to see your solution.

• Like 1

I would find it easier to make the parts (quick and simple) then place them manually. After 20+ years I still don't know how to make this work as a symbol on a sloped railing.

on a wall:image.thumb.png.6c7c11e9af71fb3d15795f89e05a29a4.png

on the stairs as a baluster:image.thumb.png.5b70dfcd71f35f226a468c6578f7c7c3.png

manual:image.thumb.png.e4315f1725e3413b73f079a6c537d927.png

• Like 1

Thank you all for taking the time to give some direction on this! I tried a couple different approaches but found that creating each baluster separately and then creating some small panels (one decorative, one straight) then placing them manually to get the desired spacing, was the best for this instance. This is how it turned out... 

Davies Stair Baluster Design.png

• Like 2