Creating Orbital Walkthrough with Sun Following Camera

kwhitt

I've always done still images up until today.  I have figured out how to create an orbital walkthrough, but want the sun to follow the cameras as it orbits.  I've looked at various training videos with no answers.  Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks,

Kevin

13 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

I have figured out how to create an orbital walkthrough

Depending on what you've figured out, there are probably much faster ways. Especially if you figured out to use Chief's Orbital Walkthrough Path.

I prefer to setup a camera view so the focal point is pretty close to the center of the entire model.

image.thumb.png.83ac343575f06abdd352fa3842ef6216.png

Then rotate the camera using 'ctrl-alt-s'. You can simply press 's' to stop the rotation. Adjust the location and rotation speed of the camera.

Rotate to a nice starting view. Using the walkthrough tools, press record. Then rotate the camera. Press 's' to stop. Wait a couple of seconds before stopping the recording.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

Depending on what you've figured out, there are probably much faster ways. Especially if you figured out to use Chief's Orbital Walkthrough Path.

I prefer to setup a camera view so the focal point is pretty close to the center of the entire model.

Then rotate the camera using 'ctrl-alt-s'. You can simply press 's' to stop the rotation. Adjust the location and rotation speed of the camera.

Rotate to a nice starting view. Using the walkthrough tools, press record. Then rotate the camera. Press 's' to stop. Wait a couple of seconds before stopping the recording.

Thanks Rob.  That's exactly what I want to do.  How do I change the rotation speed of the camera though?  I can't find such a setting in the camera DBX.  When ready to record, do I do that while the camera is spinning?  Kevin

37 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

When ready to record, do I do that while the camera is spinning?

press record first, wait  a few seconds, then spin, then stop, wait a few seconds then stop recording.

image.thumb.png.639d96e77b958b4c178ebeb1951f131b.png

3 hours ago, robdyck said:

Thanks Rob.  That's exactly what I want to do.  How do I change the rotation speed of the camera though?  I can't find such a setting in the camera DBX.  When ready to record, do I do that while the camera is spinning?  Kevin

Thanks again, Rob!  I got it working.  I set it to 30 FPS.  What will help with the flickering?  Kevin

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

press record first, wait  a few seconds, then spin, then stop, wait a few seconds then stop recording.

image.thumb.png.639d96e77b958b4c178ebeb1951f131b.png

Thanks again, Rob!  I got it working.  I set it to 30 FPS.  What will help with the flickering?  Kevin

2 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

In addition to the flickering, I am getting a moire pattern with my roof and brick textures.  Any advice on getting a cleaner video? 

Sounds like a codec issue.   Perhaps try Xvid  or bump up the FPS to 45 or 60.   Or is it z-fighting ?

2 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Can you post your video?

That would be the most help.

3 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Can you post your video?

I was trying to post the video on Chief from my locker, but cannot upload that type of file.  How did you post yours in the first reply?

2 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Sounds like a codec issue.   Perhaps try Xvid  or bump up the FPS to 45 or 60.   Or is it z-fighting ?

That would be the most help.

Not Z-fighting.  I will bump up to 60 FPS and see what happens.  Thanks!

1 minute ago, robdyck said:

The one I posted was at 15 fps.

Rob I think you could reduce the jitter in your video that shows up as you round a corner by increasing the FPS.  Otherwise it looks good.

13 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Rob I think you could reduce the jitter in your video that shows up as you round a corner by increasing the FPS.  Otherwise it looks good.

That was one done super quick, and I haven't even looked at it. I think that jitter probably happened during the recording...in other words the rotation jittered, not the recording. I was using other apps while it was recording.

I fixed it for your Chop! Click the link now!

Actually, I'm just wrapping that project up so I updated it for the client!

16 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

It's still choppy.  Here's the link:

That is actually pretty good.  It does seem a little washed out though.  Can't tell for sure if you are using standard or PBR ?

Perhaps post all of your settings as it could be a resolution/lighting issue as well.

4 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

That is actually pretty good.  It does seem a little washed out though.  Can't tell for sure if you are using standard or PBR ?

Perhaps post all of your settings as it could be a resolution/lighting issue as well.

It's the standard renderer in 60 FPS.  I am going to try XVid to see if there's any improvement. I have to lower the brightness of my computer monitor as lately it has been hurting my eyes.  It's probably washed out on a standard screen.

Will changing the compression rate have any effect?  I'm using the default 75%.

Happy Fourth!

1 hour ago, kwhitt said:

It's the standard renderer in 60 FPS.  I am going to try XVid to see if there's any improvement. I have to lower the brightness of my computer monitor as lately it has been hurting my eyes.  It's probably washed out on a standard screen.

Ok that helps because it looks more like what a PBR view would render like on my monitor..   Maybe check a few different sunlight settings to make sure it is not over or under lit.

1 hour ago, kwhitt said:

Will changing the compression rate have any effect?  I'm using the default 75%.

Not the first thing I would adjust but you could bump it up to 90% as a test.

What is your resolution setting ?   I usually go to 1920 x 1080 as a minimum.  Higher does not hurt depending on how the client is viewing it.