Edit toolbar and angle snaps

TriDiWorx

Hey!

I have two questions.

1. Can I turn of edit toolbar and use contextual menu? When I right click on toolbars then select toolbars and untick "Edit" then this edit toolbar disappears. Right after that I click somewhere else this edit toolbar comes back on its own. I don't want it to come back.

2. Can I have angle snaps off without this notification icon floating with my cursor? I have used all software without angle snaps and when I need angle snaps or ortho then I just hold shift key. This is just how I am used to and I like it this way. The only reason I have angle snaps on in Chief is because of this annoying icon.

image.png.f0e86545dc928380ed965c2c152632b0.png

On 6/9/2022 at 5:36 PM, solver said:

You may always use the Context Menu.

Why do you want to turn off the Edit toolbar?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I wanted to use only context menu. So if I was using only context menu I could make more screen space without this toolbar. But I actually was a bit wrong about that. I cannot do that, because this toolbar displays secondary actions/options for tools also. So with only context menu It would be hard to work. Did not think about that when I was writing this post. So I will not be needing to turn off edit toolbar. Sorry, my mistake.

But as I understand this angle snaps icon cannot be hidden?

13 hours ago, TriDiWorx said:

But as I understand this angle snaps icon cannot be hidden?

Preferences>Edit>Behaviors>Edit Type>Behavior Indicators

Only thing is, it turns off all the behavior indicators, not just angle snaps.

Do a search in help for Pointer Icons to see all the different ones.

I wanted to use only context menu. So if I was using only context menu I could make more screen space without this toolbar. But I actually was a bit wrong about that. I cannot do that, because this toolbar displays secondary actions/options for tools also. So with only context menu It would be hard to work. Did not think about that when I was writing this post. So I will not be needing to turn off edit toolbar. Sorry, my mistake.

The Edit toolbar and the Contextural menu display the same tools.

You can hide the Edit toolbar and only use the Contextural Menu.

Select an object to display the Edit Toolbar.

Drag the Edit toolbar off the side or bottom (if not already floating).

Press the Minimize button on the top - it should minimise to the desktop and be hidden behind the Chief window.

On my mac, it is the middle yellow button with the dash in it.

Windows should work the same.

You can then configure in Preferences to use a single or double right click to open the contextural menu.

It is highly recommend that you keep angle snaps turned on. As Glenn has indicated, you can turn off the edit indicators in your preferences but this is also not recommended. 

There are a number of tools that are only available through the edit toolbar (some of them through the secondary "modes"). Currently, there is no way to tell the program to not display it, but you can make it floating instead of docked.

16 minutes ago, Dermot said:

you can make it floating instead of docked

Just to add about the edit toolbar as Dermot alludes to here. You can move it to a different location instead of the lower bar, i.e. left or right side bars. 

But sounds like if you are having issues with the size and "real estate" the edit bar takes up that you are using either a small monitor or a laptop.  Highly recommend getting a larger dual monitor setup for everyday work.  I love my twin 28" BenQ 4k monitors.  I undock my Project Browser, ALDO, and Library browser leaving them on my right screen with room for reference material and have very customized toolbars that leave me plenty of "real estate" on the left screen to draw.  There are lots of posts on the forums about setups and what works best for each person is always going to be different but lots of pros on the forums have shared what works for them for a reference.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all. Very helpful replies. I have also two 27 inch monitors. So screen space is not that much of an issue. Just in many software I was using context menu all the time. And thought I can use Chief this way also and as a bonus get more space on the screen. But I was wrong. Just using different software at the same time sometimes gets confusing :)

It is not much of a problem anyway. 

Thanks!

It's actually more common for Chief users to turn off the right-click context menu (or have it only show up on the second click) instead. This can be controlled in your preferences.

This can make it easier to select objects with the right-click so you don't have to keep changing your current mode.  When you are in a mode like place base cabinet, if you left-click, then the program will either select an existing base cabinet or place a new one.  The right-click will then work like left-clicking while in select objects mode and allow you to select any kind of object.  Turning off the right-click context menu prevents it from popping up and getting in the way of your right-click selection.