Matterport Adventure

Doug_N

On 6/18/2022 at 10:46 AM, ChefCadhla said:

I have been using Matterport with my CA for almost a year now. I did not like the way the OBJ imported so I do not get the Matterpak. I use the Blueprint function and for $14.99 they send me a PDF, a PNG, and 2 SVGs. I use Adobe Illustrator to convert the SVG to DXF, and then I draw the walls on top of that. I do wish that CA would provide a DXF in the Blueprint pack as that would save me a step.

I just did this scan a couple of days ago. https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=d2Cts4ozXcu Once the scan had been processed into the 3d walk through, I submitted the request for the 2d blueprint. I received it this morning, converted the SVG into a DXF with the appropriate scale, and got the walls drawn in in about an hour.

The camera and system have increased the accuracy and decreased the amount of time it takes for me to produce an as-built plan.

David Wolfe

Canis Lupus Services, LLC

1_longboat-key-fl-34228_0.svg 112.98 kB · 117 downloads 1_longboat-key-fl-34228_0.dxf 763.4 kB · 112 downloads 0_longboat-key-fl-34228_1.pdf 149.96 kB · 132 downloads

What accuracy are you getting, please?  Our company is considering doing something like this but we're not sure if the limited accuracy is worth the cost.

Thank you in advance,

On 6/18/2022 at 8:46 AM, ChefCadhla said:

The camera and system have increased the accuracy and decreased the amount of time it takes for me to produce an as-built plan.

I'm curious. Did you actually draw 3 or 4 different wall widths for the plan like the pdf? or do you guess at any support walls, and draw the others as 2x4

image.thumb.png.a798380963f107e87a112c5e2ad9db26.png

17 minutes ago, SHCanada2 said:

I'm curious. Did you actually draw 3 or 4 different wall widths for the plan like the pdf? or do you guess at any support walls, and draw the others as 2x4

image.thumb.png.a798380963f107e87a112c5e2ad9db26.png

I think the wall thickness shown is because of plumbing chases and an actual support wall.  Matterport is pretty good at guessing wall thicknesses from stitching scans together.  That being said, it would be a great ideal to take some actual measurements to make adjustments when doing the CA model.

12 hours ago, Doug_N said:

I think the wall thickness shown is because of plumbing chases and an actual support wall.

hmmm, I think there are too many weird things going on, including the hockey stick looking wall in the "room", closet in the hallway, closet walls on the left being thicker than the bedroom walls .....

there looks to be 5 different thicknesses of walls on that plan, and thats not including the bathroom plumbing walls. It hten begs the quesrtion, how does one draw it in CA? would one change the closets to 2x4 walls, and then move the closets on the left all down, or simply increase the closets. I assume the latter, but then does one adjust the closet widths to the nearest inch, and leave one shorter if they are believed to be all the same. I would also assume that is what people do. But  maybe not ...

1 hour ago, SHCanada2 said:

hmmm, I think there are too many weird things going on, including the hockey stick looking wall in the "room", closet in the hallway, closet walls on the left being thicker than the bedroom walls .....

there looks to be 5 different thicknesses of walls on that plan, and thats not including the bathroom plumbing walls. It hten begs the quesrtion, how does one draw it in CA? would one change the closets to 2x4 walls, and then move the closets on the left all down, or simply increase the closets. I assume the latter, but then does one adjust the closet widths to the nearest inch, and leave one shorter if they are believed to be all the same. I would also assume that is what people do. But  maybe not ...

It is true you have to be careful, and the resolution of the system is to the nearest inch.  Field measurements are still very important. 

14 minutes ago, Doug_N said:

Field measurements are still very important. 

I have drawn up several houses based on Matterport files from my client.  (Matterport was the only provided as-built info for a few reasons).

I was initially excited about the tech. as it is very whiz-bang.  But, after struggling with drawing dimensional discrepancies became less so.  I then took a look at Matterport's accuracy claim out of curiousity and it is 1%.  This is 6" over 50 feet.  To me that's a lot and a lot less accurate than a laser distance finder.

That said, I do appreciate Matterport as a possible substitute for site photos.

Jim