Importing a CA plan

TylerSC

Hello-

In our office, our designer creates an existing drawing and a remodel drawing (SDs).  This is used to get the final design look with the client (DDs).  Once that is done, I create the plan set (CDs).  Currently, I do a save as of each .plan and then start modifying layers and creating detail to send to my layout file.  The requires a lot of setup for each saved plan file since our designer doesn't have to worry about details when creating the visual design.  I have a template created with the CAD schedules/wall types that I need as well as all of the settings/defaults set exactly how I want them.

My question: How do I import a CA plan file into my template plan file so that I don't have to recreate the wheel on each project, twice (EX. and Remodel)?

Thanks for any help.

The designer has his own template with the drawing sheet turned on and does things quite a bit different.  I haven't found a way to import CAD schedules yet.  How does the Edit Area work?

It sounds like you are trying to do something that does not need to be done. 

Step one, you open your template plan

Step two, you create your as built and then save as your DD plan

Step 3, someone opens the DD plan.

All features of the template plan exist.

Gawdzira-

I'm not sure if I'm reading your first post correctly but I don't create that initial file which is where my issue starts.  Your second comment is what I am trying to get away from.  Thanks though.

18 minutes ago, TylerSC said:

The designer has his own template with the drawing sheet turned on and does things quite a bit different.  I haven't found a way to import CAD schedules yet.  How does the Edit Area work?

similar to this...but you will open a New Plan and Paste Hold the DD Plan into it

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-02917/rotating-a-structure-or-plan-view.html

for the future you should be able to meddle the Designers Defaults and Yours too in dedicated Defaults Sets for each of you linked to Saved Plan Views for Each of you.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-01167/setting-up-a-custom-default-annotation-set.html

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-03094/creating-custom-templates-from-existing-projects.html

Mick

The initial file would be your template file. You can start with an empty file and make all your required layers, layersets, defaults, etc. and then save that out as a new template. If you are changing layersets after that, you are working too hard. Sometimes I will add a layerset if I am sending a unique plan view to layout but changing a layer name or major adjustements to a layerset would be the thing of nightmares.

My DD file is a save of the as built but I will make a cad layer by copying my walls to cad lines and then make them dashed. If I move a wall in DD, the dashed lines show up as "wall to be removed". When DD is finished, save as and then start con docs. The layout file gets cleaned up and I change the print size to Arch D and hide a layer that has my title block info for 11x17.

What are the unique features between users that you want to preserve?

From experience.....

You current work flow needs to change, honestly. I don't mean to sound harsh, but I have been exactly where you are, and it simply doesn't work. I/we had a pretty long meeting (couple hours) and hatched out what we NEEDED in our templates, and what we WANTED in our templates, and came to middle ground that we could all live with and work comfortably with. We picked a common font and came up with layer sets (that we're all pretty similar) and now have a template that we can all share seamlessly when working on projects together. 

Take the time to hash it out and you will all be better in the end.