Please help me fix my basement's floor/ceiling/walls construction

bdillard1

Hello,

I am trying to figure some basic construction in X13.   I'm sure this is obvious to many but I'm not there yet.  I'd really like to know how to do it right.    I have many things to fix in my unfinished house but I'd like to start with the foundation.    We don't have to fix everything but if you tell me how to fix one thing (besides the stairs)  on the foundation construction, I can make note of how to fix them and eventually fix the next floor once enough are solved.    

If necessary - I have no problem wiping out the basement and starting again.

1.  I would like under the 4" cement flooring, 10 mil poly, 2 x 2" rigid insulation (no idea if 10" of crushed stone under the insulation is in the diagram/CA or not) - not sure if it is right in my project)

2. My ceiling / floor above will have a 14" 4x3 wooden truss  - split about halfway so each half about 18' long.   (No idea how to set the dimentions or height on trusses).

3.  I figure it will require about a 12" mid section beam (not sure how wide that would be - 6"?) and steel columns with cement beneath.

I would like the lowest point of construction over the basement to still give me 8.5' to 9' of clearance - my guess that is the mid section beam but I'm no architect.

I'm not sure if it matters but for the basement walls I couldn't find dimple mat so I duplicated some material and called it that.  I have closed cell insulation on the inside.   This is initially going to be an unfinished basement.

I realize this is a lot to ask so if you can pick off anything easily on this list I would appreciate it.

I'd really like to learn some of the basics so if you could say go here - adjust this to fix that it would be very helpful, I'd prefer to learn to fish than get a fish but anything either way is appreciated.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AonCBRorVv74rA4Z81iexL8amkNz?e=JXkxqV

Thank you in advance!

• bdillard1 changed the title to Please help me fix my basement's floor/ceiling/walls construction

I appreciate the help.  I just finished watching.  I learned a few things but I wasn't able to figure out from it the answers to my questions - I need it much slower I'm afraid this went a bit fast.

I understand I may have asked too many questions.
Should I break my question into a few posts -e.g. 1 - is my basement subfloor construction correct according the specs I've stated?

Maybe it would help if I started with the first thing that eludes me - how do I add a wood truss of 14" 4"x3" 18' long. 

I couldn't figure out where to set the height from the floor or the height of the truss.

Capture.JPG

1 hour ago, bdillard1 said:

how do I add a wood truss of 14" 4"x3" 18' long

set the floor joist size on level 1 to 14" , and the 4x3 material in Defaults>Framing>Trusses

Then draw your truss ( click and drag) wall to wall. 

Seen this one? https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/339/framing-with-floor-and-ceiling-trusses.html

M.

• Like 1

I think that was a help even though I'm far from getting it right.   Part of my issue is I seem to have put osb in the drawing that covers the truss but I'm doing the wrong thing to remove it as rooms seem to drop if I do.   I'd like to look  up in the basement and see the wooden truss and there should be osb above the truss, not below it.  

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AonCBRorVv74rBCp6bZ_YzT6FOFL?e=z7nexm 

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Capture5a.JPG