Client Viewer not useful now?

BruceKC

Am I missing something?  It seems that the Client Viewer is no longer useful for 3D unless the client has a PC with an RTX card?  Most of my clients don't have that and so the whole concept of letting them see the plan in 3D is not working now.  No one that I know of wants to view the plan on their phone or tablet, so are there any other options?

There is a desktop viewer and a mobile viewer and they work very differently. Neither of them support raytracing though.   If you want to show your client a very high-quality raytraced image, you should probably create that image on your machine and then export it to send it to them.

The desktop viewer will be able to open X13 (or older) files and allow your client to view the Chief models.  It does not support real-time raytracing so the client does not need a video card that supports real-time raytracing.  It does require a video card that supports X13 though, but *most* modern video cards should.  You can compare the client's video card specs to our minimum system requirements to see if it will be supported.

The mobile viewer is fairly limited as far as how big of a model it can view but this is not a new issue and I don't believe it is any worse in X13 than it was in previous versions.  Here is a tech article about optimizing your Chief model for the mobile viewer that might be helpful:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-03044/optimizing-a-chief-architect-plan-for-export-to-the-3d-viewer.html

As far as I know, we have no reports of problems with either the desktop or mobile viewer specifically regarding X13.  If anyone finds any problems trying to use either the desktop of mobile viewer, I would encourage you to report these problems to our tech support team.