rebuild foundation wall to accommodate brick ledge requirement

DenisePac

Hi,

The front wall and some back walls of this house were changed to brick.  The basement/foundation wall already created before the wall types were changed.  How can I change and adjust the affected foundation wall to reflect the required brick ledge properly without losing all of the basement/foundation interior walls already finalized?  Attached is an image showing what the foundation wall should look like once updated.  I tried to upload the plan file too, but the file size exceeds the 14 mb size limit.  Please help.

brick ledge cross section view.jpg

Group-Select the walls you wish to edit and then open the group dialog for those walls, select Wall Types and then select a foundation wall type that also has a "brick ledge". then Click "OK" to close and affect your intended changes. The software is not "Smart or Intelligent" it is basically a robot that you control by settings that YOU make. It does have some "automatic" build into it by it does them robotically.

DJP

Thanks. I watched your video Eric and my basement/ foundation wall doesn't indicate needing realignment.  Is my foundation wall type definitions for that brick wall area not set up correctly in the wall definitions?  Here is the cross section view image, and a couple of screen grabs of each wall definitions for the brick-6 wall and the lower foundation wall as they are set up right now. I also included a screen shot of the foundation level showing you that basement foundation wall appears to already be aligned.  I suspect my wall types are not set up exactly right. Thoughts?

cross section elevation.jpg

Foundation level plan image.pdf Brick-6 Wall Type Definition.pdf foundation wall for brick ledge.pdf

36 minutes ago, DenisePac said:

I suspect my wall types are not set up exactly right.

That's probably correct, but it could be something else. You really should post the plan or a download link so that anyone willing and able to help you isn't guessing. Then you'll get an actual solution and usually quite quickly!

1 hour ago, DenisePac said:

Robert,

I tried to attach the zipped plan file but it exceeds the 14mb size allowed.  Do you know of another way?  You mentioned a download link?

You can insert a dropbox link or a google drive link (or similar). And to get someone's attention, you need to either 'quote' them or mention them @DenisePac, like this. Then, the person you've replied to will get a notification.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, solver said:

All someone needs is the structure -- walls, roof and floor. Copy the plan and delete everything else. And just the plan file, no need for a full backup.

Also, please post images directly -- no need to make a PDF of an image. This makes it easier for others as an image shows in the forum.

Thanks. Try this...

.1991753007_BasementFoundationWallBrickLedgeWallDef.thumb.png.3330dd65ff29f4e5ce2fed53fd037439.png

953273635_BRICK-6WallDef.thumb.png.9b1e87868fd1e3ac7291855ff6ca6861.png

Wagner-PlanTEST.zip

I don’t use the brick ledge feature anymore. 

I find I have more control by using pony walls to properly represent brick ledges. 

The brick ledge portion often has a different wall composition from the wall it’s a part of so I don’t want extra material where I don’t need it. 

Often for a facade wall, we’ll bring down the brick veneer sometimes 36” from the top of the foundation wall by inserting a 2” styrofoam panel when we pour the concrete to create the hollow for our brick ledge.  The only way to achieve this properly in Chief is with a pony wall. 

TL:DR  pony walls are your friend. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, solver said:

Thanks for this Eric, and thanks for the previous bridge ledge vid as well.

Here is a pic of my elevation as of now, doing what you showed me to do. My concrete section of basement brick ledge wall doesn't appear as thick as yours.  Am I missing a step? And I noticed when the lower basement foundation wall moves out to align with the 1st level brick wall, it creates add'l  s.f. in the basement. Can I modify the thickness of the basement/foundation wall within the wall definition so the inside edge of basement wall stays where it was previously, without messing with the upper level, keeping everything aligned properly?  The GC is telling me to make the foundation wall a thickness 12" instead of 8".  However, I assumed the 8" would be added to the 4" ledge, creating a total 12" thickness automatically.  Here is a pic showing how my wall elevation looks after your instructions. Thoughts?

1654437705_WAGNERcrosssectionelevation.thumb.jpg.641af05c932e1c73b428423c58d1dd76.jpg

I will look at your roof option. I did struggle a bit with finding the right "look".  You're right, the back roof line gets pretty funky looking doing it this way.  Here's an image of what the back looks like as I have it, before your modification. I also have a question regarding attic walls on this plan and will submit that question under a new topic. Thanks.

1532190440_wagner-backrooflineimage.thumb.jpg.b15eac02e831749681f535694669d487.jpg

1 minute ago, DenisePac said:

Thanks for this Eric, and thanks for the previous bridge ledge vid as well.

Here is a pic of my elevation as of now, doing what you showed me to do. My concrete section of basement brick ledge wall doesn't appear as thick as yours.  Am I missing a step? And I noticed when the lower basement foundation wall moves out to align with the 1st level brick wall, it creates add'l  s.f. in the basement. Can I modify the thickness of the basement/foundation wall within the wall definition so the inside edge of basement wall stays where it was previously, without messing with the upper level, keeping everything aligned properly?  The GC is telling me to make the foundation wall a thickness 12" instead of 8".  However, I assumed the 8" would be added to the 4" ledge, creating a total 12" thickness automatically.  Here is a pic showing how my wall elevation looks after your instructions. Thoughts?

1654437705_WAGNERcrosssectionelevation.thumb.jpg.641af05c932e1c73b428423c58d1dd76.jpg

I will look at your roof option. I did struggle a bit with finding the right "look".  You're right, the back roof line gets pretty funky looking doing it this way.  Here's an image of what the back looks like as I have it, before your modification. I also have a question regarding attic walls on this plan and will submit that question under a new topic. Thanks.

1532190440_wagner-backrooflineimage.thumb.jpg.b15eac02e831749681f535694669d487.jpg

Also, I failed to mention, this particular plan was and is still in CA version 12 so you can use that version to open it.