Custom Backsplash on Soffits or Polyline Solids?

J_Mack

I often use soffits in showers and polyline solids for shower curbs, benches, etc. To my knowledge you can only apply custom backsplashes to walls, so it's not an easy task to apply to a soffit or polyline solid. My work-around is to apply a custom backsplash to an adjacent wall and move it in front of the soffit, curb, or bench in plan view. Is there an easier way to do this? Thanks!

image.thumb.png.70e202fb3cb2b11520fec32158ba155b.png

I don't fully understand.

Why do you need to apply a splashback?

Why not just apply a material to the soffit or solid.

If you want the material to run in different directions, explode the object into faces, create a new material that runs in the other direction and apply it to the exploded face.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, glennw said:

explode the object into faces, create a new material that runs in the other direction and apply it to the exploded face.

I am assuming you want different materials on different faces as well.  IF that is the case what Glenn is saying here makes the solid a separate surface on each plane. Top, bottom, left, right, front, back, etc...

• 9 months later...

I started reading this thread because I'm having a similar issue, but the suggest "exploded" feature won't help me. The reason I need to apply a backsplash and not apply the material directly is to run different tiles, for instance right now I am trying to do 3 tiles high of subway and then a thin stripe of black tile. On the side walls I have no issues making backsplash, but on the back wall I need a 1/2 wall that creates a ledge and then the tile continues up. If I use a 1/2 wall I can't apply backsplash to the wall behind it. So then I tried using a poly line solid to build the 1/2 wall which allows me to tile the top 1/2 but I still can't add the tile properly to the solid. 

Any thoughts on solutions for this?

Using Chief Architect Interiors X14

Thanks so much to anyone taking the time to read/respond!

Julie

showerimage.jpg

36 minutes ago, Pickle_Board said:

I started reading this thread because I'm having a similar issue, but the suggest "exploded" feature won't help me. The reason I need to apply a backsplash and not apply the material directly is to run different tiles, for instance right now I am trying to do 3 tiles high of subway and then a thin stripe of black tile. On the side walls I have no issues making backsplash, but on the back wall I need a 1/2 wall that creates a ledge and then the tile continues up. If I use a 1/2 wall I can't apply backsplash to the wall behind it. So then I tried using a poly line solid to build the 1/2 wall which allows me to tile the top 1/2 but I still can't add the tile properly to the solid. 

Any thoughts on solutions for this?

Using Chief Architect Interiors X14

Thanks so much to anyone taking the time to read/respond!

Julie

showerimage.jpg

This is totally doable but very separate in nature.  Better to post this as a separate post.  There is many ways to accomplish it and one would be a custom material instead of individual backsplashes.  In this way you can set it so all grout lines line up in the X,Y axxis.

Post it up and you will have lots of support.