DWG Files

TotalStation

2 hours ago, TotalStation said:

Will do, FYI my signature indicates premier x11-13  i think i am in the right forum.

Cheers

Kind of.  Actually says x11-x12

But anyway without uploading the plan file it's hard to tell.  But most likely a bloat heavy import.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 11/9/2021 at 12:33 PM, TotalStation said:

Hello,

When i attempt to import a DWG file in my model it seizes up my programme, whats going on?

P.B

Just curious, have you tried to import the file first into another program such as AutoCAD or TurboCAD?

Chief is not always the best way to deal with large amounts of data in non-native file formats.  Chief does a great job of displaying 3D symbol modeling files and very fast at displaying it as well as soon as the model has been imported.  But other more CAD related programs often import data such as point cloud info and large DWG files a bit better than Chief does, at least from my experience.

Can you fill us in a bit more as to what you are trying to accomplish using the total station data.  The obvious guess would be terrain surfaces, but that may not be it.  The reason I ask is that there are actually quite a few ways to represent terrain surfaces including but not limited to 3D Solids.  Inquiring minds want to know :)

Failure to load the CAD file is often because the .dwg probably has way too much 'stuff' included in the drawing. 

Under layer options (upon import) why not uncheck a good portion of them for experimental purposes - and then see how it goes.

If some of the basic line work makes it's way into a successful import, then you can probably go back make some decisions on what not to include - meaning that you can cherry pick only the most important items, and leave out the things which are bogging down the import. ...good luck with that.