PORCH COLUMNS - Too Many Generating

j2narchitecture

Go to solution Solved by Mark3D,

I am using the railing to auto generate columns and beam for an exterior porch.

For some reason, the railing is generating 4 -1/2 columns, where only 3 are needed. 

The spacing is set to 8' o.c. for the columns. 

How can I correct this so that only 3 columns are being generated?

Any feedback is appreciated.

See attached plan file and circled area on the pics.

TIA

PLAN FILE

CA - PORCH COL Q.jpg

Are those lines across the end of the porch room dividers by and chance ?  If so they are generating the extra posts.  Hopefully you don't need the room dividers.

1 hour ago, j2narchitecture said:

For some reason, I cannot select those lines.

Those are actually lines from your busted up porch ceiling with the soffit and eavestrough running through it from the garage roof.  However even sorting all that out only gets rid of one extra post. Turning auto roof back on fixes the railing but you have wandered a long way from auto roof which may not have even been necessary on a build like this.  It looks like you could have gone at least 95% of the way with auto roof if not 100%.  The other thing that fixes the railing is the "Generate on Low Platform" railing setting.  But again it causes other issues like sinking through your floor finish but that may not need to be set up the way it is either.

Not really sure what the best solution would be but that may help you or someone else narrow it down a bit.

image.thumb.png.8e5a25e4b0f02812137901fe4c9a5409.png

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    sparky494
    Newest Member
    sparky494

• By MichelleMartel
      I am modifying a plan & I needed to remove this section of a porch that extended along the entire front and had a continuous concrete slab.   When I shorten the wall on the left to the width I need it, it automatically deletes the slab floor in this section & the siding/walls are leaving a gap. I tried deleting the walls all together and replacing them with a new wall and nothing changed. I tried lowering the porch flooring an inch lower than the garage (which is -24) and this still happens.  The original slab is a 0.
      Any idea how to fix this issue please and thank you. 

• By DeLayDesign
      My client has a very specific look in mind, "H" shaped columns.  I've managed to create them as a 3D item and import them as a column; however, when placed they all seem to act as I want them to, except one.  What's the solution to this without having to place them all manually?

TIA.
      Adam

• By SNestor
      Building on the videos Eric (Solver) made recently...I did this video to show how you can construct a tapered paneled column in plan view, using p-solids and a molding polyline. It's a fast method...and the best part is you don't have to use a 3D molding polyline.

Check it out....

• By Sunnyfields
      I am attempting to show a bridge structure from a stair to a loft and CA is showing a dropped area underneath the railing:

You will note that the railing perpendicular to this does not have this problem. I have rechecked my defaults, added a room under the bridge with the same settings as the room without the issue, and asked our CA guru...we are at a loss. This seems to be an issue with the wall created underneath the railing, but the settings for this railing are exactly the same as the perpendicular one Here's the troublesome railing:

Here's the one which is working properly:

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? Thank you!

• By stevenyhof
      Hello,
      I have been learning a lot about building porches, both manually and using Railings.
      I used a Room Divider to make the concrete pad. Then a molding profile to add 4" around it. 
      I made a 1x1 sq profile and made my beam, and added in my columns.
      I built several porches trying different roofs, but end up with no gable end wall. 
      I tried added an exterior wall and making it an attic wall, which added some frieze boards, but the wall just covered my porch from concrete up.
      Not finding much on videos for porches.
      Thank you