Rain screen walls and exterior window casings

GeneDavis

Do I need to get better trained, or is there a gap in the software and I should make a suggestion for a mod?

Rainscreen's the new hotness, and Chief stepped up to the plate in X13 and gave us the additional framing layer to handle the furring, but how are you all handling exterior trim?  I find that I need to add thickness to the trim to make it look right in 3D.  If my furring layer is 3/4 and I am casing with 5/4 stock, I need to make it 1-3/4 thick not 1 inch thick.

All's well with my 3D and 2D, but my material list is calling for the wrong thickness, of course.

I'd prefer there be a setting for exterior trim that allows one to specify which layer it bears against.  No?  Is there a hidden setting in 13 I'm missing, or is my workaround a necessity.  

8 minutes ago, jasonN said:

Bugs lobbied for this as it is their new home

I can only imagine how many more can fit in there compared to vinyl siding gaps, for instance! Footings might need to be larger to carry the additional weight.

On 8/2/2021 at 11:10 AM, GeneDavis said:

Do I need to get better trained, or is there a gap in the software and I should make a suggestion for a mod?

Rainscreen's the new hotness, and Chief stepped up to the plate in X13 and gave us the additional framing layer to handle the furring, but how are you all handling exterior trim?  I find that I need to add thickness to the trim to make it look right in 3D.  If my furring layer is 3/4 and I am casing with 5/4 stock, I need to make it 1-3/4 thick not 1 inch thick.

All's well with my 3D and 2D, but my material list is calling for the wrong thickness, of course.

I'd prefer there be a setting for exterior trim that allows one to specify which layer it bears against.  No?  Is there a hidden setting in 13 I'm missing, or is my workaround a necessity.  

I feel for you. Like the insects, every solution leads to multiple problems!

27 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I can only imagine how many more can fit in there compared to vinyl siding gaps, for instance! Footings might need to be larger to carry the additional weight.

This is the future hotness... it's a food source...  just need to set up a little dispenser, kinda like the old five&dime store candy dispensers.... turn the crank... out comes the days protein... get the veg from the roof garden