Multiple Copy: How do I utilize 'Alternate' multiple copies?

I have never, and still today can't figure it out, been able to get the 'Alt' / 'Alternate' behaviour to work in the multiple copies dialog. I wonder if this is because I'm a Mac User? Does anybody else use this alternate offset/copy distance?

Here is the dialog to refresh your memory. Theoretically we can use this Secondary Offset to change the spacing.

184827644_ScreenShot2021-05-20at10_14_44AM.thumb.png.48cc03b5d3d4d92b26a20b017973df05.png

But I've never been able to get it to work - either by holding the Alt button or using the right click.

Here's what the Manual says:

990823062_ScreenShot2021-05-20at10_12_24AM.png.5450dbef47a7499d9cb33f58108548bd.png

Is this something that others are using, and if so how do I unlock it's power?

Primary offset is one direction.  Secondary offset is in the perpendicular direction.  Right click, distribute in the desired direction, and release; and then distribute in the perpendicular direction and left click to finish.  I use it all the time.

Yes but you  may not be thinking about how it is meant to be used for something like Joists.

Think of it as a great way to lay out individual ceiling tiles or lights in a banquet hall.

Distribute with the Alternate edit mode then release and drag the mouse in the other direction and click again.  ie. width and the length of room.

31 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Yes but you  may not be thinking about how it is meant to be used for something like Joists.

Not sure who this comment was directed at, but if the goal is to use the primary offset as one joist spacing and the secondary offset as an alternate joist spacing....

I’m away from my computer, but you might try right clicking and dragging in the joist length direction, releasing the mouse button just before the first copy is placed, and then dragging out secondary copies to layout joists.  Not sure if it will work or not.  Don’t recall ever trying to use the secondary copies with no primary copies.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Not sure who this comment was directed at, but if the goal is to use the primary offset as one joists spacing and the secondary offset as an alternate joist spacing....

I’m away from my computer, but you might try right clicking and dragging in the joist length direction, releasing the mouse button just before the first copy is placed, and then dragging out secondary copies to layout joists.  Not sure if it will work or not.  Don’t recall ever trying to use the secondary copies with no primary copies.

Thanks,  Michael

That was really directed at Kyle but since your brain is working so well this morning, your method does seem to work for some strange reason.

Now we just need a method for 12", 16", 19.2", 24"  but we may need to settle for just two setting for now which is much better than just one.

6 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

but you might try right clicking and dragging in the joist length direction, releasing the mouse button just before the first copy is placed, and then dragging out secondary copies to layout joists.  Not sure if it will work or not.

Thanks, Michael. Never thought about doing this.

6 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

but we may need to settle for just two setting for now which is much better than just one.

I'll take it!