library 2 & 3 gang switches won't work with 3-4 way

DianeP

I am guessing the 2 and 3 way switches available  in the library are not "smart" switches as I can't  seem to get one of them to become 3 way when I connect two or more separate switches to the same light.  I guess I have to go back and replace them with individual switches, which is the way I always have done it, but thought I would try something new.  Anyone else get these to work with connections?  

image.thumb.png.8ffad25d9c7b1e82b458a3d31fb21d36.png

4 hours ago, DianeP said:

as I can't  seem to get one of them to become 3 way when I connect two or more separate switches to the same light

See if I'm understanding, maybe I am not.  You are using a standard switch, but when you connect more than one switch to that circuit, it does not update to a 3-way, or 4way?  If this is the case, make sure the switch dbx has automatically chance switch type when wiring checked.  That's the first thing I'd look at.

switch.JPG

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, mtldesigns said:

See if I'm understanding, maybe I am not. 

I think Diane is doing it the "right" or only way it can be done currently, but I thought I would double check to see if that setting works with a double gang switch and it sure does a "number" on it.  

Set a two gang switch to use " Automatically Change Switch Type When Wiring "  and then wire it as a three way circuit.

image.thumb.png.01df1813276edefe2d9269e0ef89bacd.png

When I did it it changes the switch to to a single gang and labels it a a 3 way circuit....    Very Helpful....:ph34r:

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, mtldesigns said:

See if I'm understanding, maybe I am not.  You are using a standard switch, but when you connect more than one switch to that circuit, it does not update to a 3-way, or 4way?  If this is the case, make sure the switch dbx has automatically chance switch type when wiring checked.  That's the first thing I'd look at.

switch.JPG

5 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

I think Diane is doing it the "right" or only way it can be done currently, but I thought I would double check to see if that setting works with a double gang switch and it sure does a "number" on it.  

Set a two gang switch to use " Automatically Change Switch Type When Wiring "  and then wire it as a three way circuit.

When I did it it changes the switch to to a single gang and labels it a a 3 way circuit....    Very Helpful....:ph34r:

5 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Very good to know.  Michael I was using the single switch when I couldn't get the double and triple to work with the 3 and 4-way.  But your information on the dbx helped chopped Saw figure out that that setting was available on the libraries multi gang swiches which will definately help next time.  It turns the multi switch into a single switch with the #way assigned.  Then i can just manually add more single switches to make the other connections I need work.  Thank you both!!!

2 minutes ago, DianeP said:

that setting was available on the libraries multi gang swiches which will definately help next time.  It turns the multi switch into a single switch with the #way assigned.  Then i can just manually add more single switches to make the other connections I need work.  Thank you both!!!

I really hope that it was not intentionally programmed that way because it could cause a lot more trouble than being a benefit if you don't happen to notice what is going on.

If there is a particular setting in a DBX that does not apply in a specific situation it should be grayed out, not do something unpredictable like provide you with a substitute switch.

Just in my test plan that I was checking with I already had both switches of the two gang switch wired and in substituting the singe gang switch it left the other circuit dead ended with no switch so the electrician would think you wanted two unrelated circuits wired together. I think chief needs to just fix it so it works predictably.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1