Customizing Material List Counts in X12

sdfg111

I am using x12 and trying on increase the accuracy of the material list generated by chief.  We specialize in decks and I am noticing two problems with the way Chief calculates materials.  First, the railings are listed as total linear feet. For estimating composite railings it would make more sense to to know the quantity of a give length of railing required as opposed to the total linear feet required.  An example of a more ideal method would be like how Chief calculates decking boards (It will say X amount of boards at 12'0).  Does anyone know how to modify the count to reflect this? My second issue is that Chief does not calculate fascia material for decks.  Is there a way to specify or add this material?  

Material List.JPG

Read up on Buy List  in regards to the ML

And in reference to the Deck Fascia..... if it ain't in the Plan it ain't in the ML ....... , CA doesn't make them automatically like the rest of the Deck Framing, but you can copy the Rim Joist to the inside or outside of itself and make the Outer one the correct material. ( may need to change Deck plank overhang to accommodate if adding copy to outside.)

M.

KBIRD1, Any suggestions or links that would address this aspect of the buy list? I have not been able to find any, the ones I did find have not been helpful in regards to what I am looking for.  They seem to only give options for how structural lumber is specified.

Looks Like you updated the OP after I posted earlier as I see the Pic there now ?  it shows you are using the Buy List  but as noted it effects the Framing not the Planks and Railings if that is the main concern ?  I may not understand how you want Railings to show in the ML reading your OP?

Looks like you just joined so a couple of Tips ...

1.)don't forget to check the KnowledgeBase (KB) FAQs here too :

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/category/59/materials-list.html

2.) Include your plan in Posts if possible - there are way to many settings in DBXs for people to guess at for many questions. Just make sure the Plan is closed and under 25 mb when you attach it to your post.

3.) I would suggest you update/add your Forum Signature , so people will always know what version you are using , and perhaps your computer specs ( for hardware related questions eg about 3D views, or even a name ...if you aren't the shy type :)   see mine below..... and the how to here

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/18908-signature-here-at-chief-talk/

Mick.

3 hours ago, sdfg111 said:

For estimating composite railings it would make more sense to to know the quantity of a give length of railing required as opposed to the total linear feet required

Use (or edit) a material for railing that has its Materials List properties adjusted to "Count" and specify the width of the max. length that is available. It will then report a count; for example, if the material has a width of 72" and you have a 20' railing section, the materials list will show 4.

21 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

And in reference to the Deck Fascia..... if it ain't in the Plan it ain't in the ML .......

This is true and also not true.  The information needs to be somewhere in the plan, but it doesn't necessarily need to be modeled.  Chief's material list capabilities are very robust and there are many ways to get what you're after.  Yes, you can model the fascia, but you can also just click on the Components tab for any given object and add the information there.  Take this fascia for example, here's just one example out of many ways you can get it into your material list without actually modeling anything:

1. Group select all the walls defining your deck (at least the ones defining edges where you want fascia).
  2. Open Object and click on the Components tab.
  3. Click Add Line Item (the little plus symbol)
  4. Adjust setting in that dialog to something like I have shown below...

pic1.thumb.jpg.391c58c554d02d6d4bbe8436d3633faf.jpg

In this case I'm using the length of the wall to get my desired fascia length, so I need to make sure to Apply Formula To Source Object (the wall)...

pic2.thumb.jpg.eacbec982295a4e833103bdc1b359efb.jpg

The resulting material list...

pic3.thumb.jpg.70fe842868b3b3c0077e9bdc26a64c1b.jpg

• Like 1

Alaskan_Son, thank you very much. That works perfectly for what I need it to.  Robdyck, where would I specify that max length (In this case it would be 8'), and is there a specific formula needed?.  Also, the count shows up in the components tab as (=automatic_count) as of right now and gives me the total feet. Thanks in advance for your help.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2020 at 8:58 PM, sdfg111 said:

Robdyck, where would I specify that max length (In this case it would be 8'), and is there a specific formula needed?

Hey Shaun...just noticed this. To get someone's attention, you need to tag them like this: @sdfg111

Take a close look at the screenshot. This is one way to get the reporting you want. Note...height and depth don't matter for the count.

image.thumb.png.0f8a09fa7298509dad8b2eb6752c7601.png

• Like 1

On 9/7/2020 at 8:58 PM, sdfg111 said:

Also, the count shows up in the components tab as (=automatic_count) as of right now and gives me the total feet.

You can also edit that component for all your railings like so: =automatic_count/96           

Then delete the 'ft' unit indicator

image.thumb.png.abcbe154fb606e63fe0e758e481d0292.png

• Like 1