Ceiling Plane Defaults

dshall

Perry, yes in Defaults. Another thing I notice is that if you uncheck "Use Room Ceiling Finish" in the ceiling plan dbx, the ceiling plan completely disappears in 3D, no matter what material you assign to it. 

I am not getting that, could be a mac. thing. looks ok for me in windows

Started a new plan, built a simulacrum of Scott's house, and everything builds fine with default materials correctly assigned. I've concluded that ceiling joists will receive, by default, the default roof rafter material. Scott's issue must be plan specific - maybe there's something corrupt.

However, Perry, the ceiling still disappears when I uncheck the "Use Room Ceiling Finish".

With check box:

post-95-0-74294500-1415299233_thumb.png

Without check box:

post-95-0-07663600-1415299262_thumb.png

My understanding of how this works:

There are 3 possibilities w/ the ceiling settings in the roof spec dbx.

1. w/ "Use Room Ceiling Finish" selected, Chief will put a ceiling under the rafters over rooms that have a cl'g thickness spec'd in the room dbx, as well as "cl'g over this room" deselected in the Room spec dbx. There will not be a cl'g layer under the rafters over certain types of rooms (Unspecified, Attic, etc) or when there is no room at all under the roof plane.
  2. w/ "Use Room Ceiling Finish" & "Has Cl'g" deselected, there should not be a cl'g layer under that roof plane's rafters at all.
  3. w/ "Use Room Ceiling Finish" deselected & "Has Cl'g" selected, there will be a cl'g layer under the rafters regardless of what (if any) rooms are below that roof plane.

Frequently w/ curved roof planes in particular, I need to remove the cl'g (sometimes the soffit too) to get the roof planes to join & display properly in a camera.

Again, this is my understanding of how it works. Your mileage may vary.

post-120-0-86223300-1415304101_thumb.jpg

BTW,  this is the response I get back from CA.  I was not able to successfully use this advice to get it to work.

"The problem seems to occur anytime you change your roof soffit material to something that doesn't match our default.

Just open the ceiling specification dialog and clicking OK will fix the issue."

If I am not mistaken,  I do not think anybody came up with a solution.  I think  Robert may of nailed it when he said it was plan specific. After reading Jim's comment,  I think my mileage does vary.

That exactly what I saw, then when I clicked off "use room ceiling finish", it looked ok.

Well, when I deselect "Use Room Ceiling Finish," I get nothing - the entire roof ceiling plane disappears. Obviously, there something going on - maybe unique to each of our systems, video cards, etc. Someone from Chief needs to jump down the rabbit hole and figure this out.

here is a short video of what I'm getting.

http://screencast.com/t/sUvv4IR4

Nice job P.  What you did auto fixed BOTH ceiling planes at once,  nice.

This is what I have been doing,  not as good as your method because you were able to fix both at the same time.....  I suppose if I selected all ceiling planes at once I could fix all at one time.....  this is what I have been doing...

SELECT CEILING PLANE<OPEN DBX<GENERAL<UNCHECK USE ROOM CEILING FINISH<MATERIAL<CEILING SURFACE<SELECT A MATERIAL  and it is fixed.  

I do not know why I have to do this on my plans.....  remember these are save as plans and the genesis of this  particular plan may go back 6 years.......  I am getting real close to starting a brand new plan without using the SAM,  as Robert said,  this issue may be plan/plans specific.

Open an OOB plan and this mess is not  present.

I would definitely start a new SAM with every new release. I always start fresh with a small box template plan and layout but it does have al the camera's, elevations, foundations, roof plan, structural plans, site plans, details and Sections already there. Very close to a SAM.

Latest report from headquarters:

Scott,

Sorry for being unclear, this is definitely an issue that we need to address as it is not behaving correctly.
The framing problem is the result of having Soffits unchecked on the Options panel of the Build Roof dialog. If you check this box, then delete and redraw your ceiling planes the problem will go away. I have logged a report on the framing issue as well.
Thanks