Random Siding Pattern

designsbydustin

I am struggling to create a Pattern for this random Siding... I have searched this forum, Autocads Forum, and the good ol Google...I am trying to do 2 pieces of siding with 4" Reveal, and then another Piece with 8" Reveal.. Can someone please help me out? Thanks!

Here is what I have, but it just comes up with a line every 16".

post-1101-0-86168300-1414000023_thumb.pngpost-1101-0-90034500-1413999804_thumb.png

a "random pattern" is an oxymoron by default (in order to be a pattern there must be a regular pattern there which would then not make it "random").

That said, I think that one would have to take a large digital photograph to minimize the apparent pattern of that texture when applied to a 3D face. In terms of a vector line pattern I think that would be difficult to achieve (some repitition would have to occur in a .pat file). I suppose one could manually draw such a thing with 2D CAD but that is intensive work indeed.

I have not written a .pat file in some years and what I did once know, I have forgotten. Perhaps some bright person will hopefully make me in the wrong which I would welcome.

DJP

Hi Dustin , I played around with this earlier this year after seeing another post on this and found a texture on the old forum back then, and made a new material once I figured out how the pattern file worked , so try the attached material and let me know if it works for you , as I only tried it on a simple box house as a test but the Vector and standard views measured correctly at 4"-4"-8" . (see below )  You may need to play with the Y origin for your model as I tried to set it so the pattern started with a 8" board at the bottom.

4-4-8 Siding_Mick.calibz

Alot of Chief's scales seem to be off by a factor of 10 or so, and i found i needed a scale of  .166  for this

pattern to work on the drawing at a true measured in elevation 4"-4"-8"

there are two (slight) variations on the 4-4-8 and a 4-4-4-4-8 pattern too in the .pat file, I used the 4-4-8b.pat

Here is the pattern, texture and material zipped in case you need it too:

LapSiding448.zip

post-315-0-34747500-1414064655_thumb.jpg  post-315-0-97765100-1414064759_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...