kwhitt

Cabinet Fillers w/ 1/32" Accuracy

Recommended Posts

I have a wall with an overall dimension of 187-1/6".  This wall is to be filled with built-in media cabinets which will require that the fillers at the end be accurate to 1/32" (.0625/2 = .03125).  I know it's an impossibility to manufacturer the cabinets to such accuracy, however, in elevation view, the individual cabinet components do not add up to the overall width of the wall because of Chief's minimum 1/16" accuracy.  Is there a way to make the fillers accurate to a 1/32"?  Or the whole plan for that matter?  Thanks, Kevin

ACCURACY.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure there is any automated way to address that type of issue but I believe in X12 they have added a feature where you can override a displayed dimension and type in an alternative. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW it can be done in a CAD detail or with an override as Graham suggests. While I have on rare occasion specified a cabinet at 1/32 when part of a combined cabinet I never would do that for a filler, particularly for wall to wall install. I always specify fillers and extended stiles oversize to allow for scribe. Normally I force them into the wall so they come out correct in a schedule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Not sure there is any automated way to address that type of issue but I believe in X12 they have added a feature where you can override a displayed dimension and type in an alternative. 

Thanks Graham.  I think the dim override will probably work in this case.  Kevin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

FWIW it can be done in a CAD detail or with an override as Graham suggests. While I have on rare occasion specified a cabinet at 1/32 when part of a combined cabinet I never would do that for a filler, particularly for wall to wall install. I always specify fillers and extended stiles oversize to allow for scribe. Normally I force them into the wall so they come out correct in a schedule.

Thanks Mark.  I guess I could use a CAD detail and get as accurate as I'd like.  I try to avoid scribe molding as much as possible - always encouraging the installers to scribe the filler close enough to caulk (admittedly, doesn't always work though).  Kevin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kwhitt said:

 - always encouraging the installers to scribe the filler close enough to caulk (admittedly, doesn't always work though).

True it depends on the installer, and giving them something wide enough to get a saw to bite completely without the cut drifting. Scribe molding is for emergency only. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

True it depends on the installer, and giving them something wide enough to get a saw to bite completely without the cut drifting. Scribe molding is for emergency only. 

That's true.  Fortunately, we have our own installation crews and they know how I feel about what I call "cover up" moldings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    28448
    Total Members
    9156
    Most Online
    Burtonmadness
    Newest Member
    Burtonmadness
    Joined