Why Does The Default Stainless Steel Look So Dark?

4hotshoez

Go to solution Solved by DavidJPotter,

Thx Jintu , the .dae doesn't crash Blender but I get the same checker pattern I posted a pic of above , not sure if that is normal and I just aren't waiting long enough but I am using Real Temp to monitor my CPU temps and see no load or rise in temps when this is running.

I found a standalone Corona Benchmark version A4 on the Corona website and it Runs just fine albeit a little slow on my old i7 970 at 6 mins but it tells me Corona works , so either Blender or Chief or the exporter isn't working right. 

https://corona-renderer.com/forum/index.php/topic,559.0.html

Kirk, your effort at getting us a stainless steel material/texture kind of got lost in all the Corona discussion.  I really appreciate you attempting to do this for us and I am looking forward to trying it.

Guilty as charged!

yes, thanks Kirk!

Thanks I appreciate it. Again, let me know what you might change about it or if it works so I can forward it to our content team. :)

Hi Kirk,

Yes it works fine.

Please suggest to the content team to add Blur (Gloss) property to the material class settings. This must be functional to RTs  with or without using photons.

We can use this to any surface like metals, wood, walls.

What I would do at the moment is to apply a customized bumpmap to blur reflections.

Attached is a Phoebe RT without photon. The hood is a mirror with bumpmap. It looks right from a distance...

post-121-0-23365700-1413930105_thumb.jpg

• 7 years later...
On 10/14/2014 at 2:45 PM, DavidJPotter said:

A kind Chief Talk user made this library awhile back and is what I use to get decent results for this material.

I suppose the "reason" is that the default "Stainless Steel" is merely a color and when you have a material that is composed of a color and a texture it is easier to get better visual results from such a "material"

DJP

Stainless Steel.calibz 18.87 kB · 319 downloads

On 10/15/2014 at 2:30 PM, Cheryl_C_Crane said:

Look in the Formica Folder of the Manufacturers Library > DecoMetal> Solid Metal. There are some great textures that Ray Trace well. I like 4194 & 4245. There are many others that make for a way to have Sinks out of one material and the faucet out of another. For instance, I like sinks out of 4194 and the faucet in 4245. The subtle changes are also good for things like appliance labels & hardware.

I like to use the Formica wood-grains, too. With woods I dial back the reflectivity.

Hope that you find them as useful as I have.

Thank you both.I was trying to find something to get closer to the GE Stainless Steel fridge we looked at today.

Attached was my attempt to show the comparisons. Hopefully it helps someone.

Stainless Steel Comparisons.gif

Stainless Steel Comparisons.jpg

GE Stainless Steel.jpg