Where Does It All Go....and Why?

keithhe

Go to solution Solved by keithhe,

OK,

Doing a simple dock plan as part of a larger plan I'm working on and something weird happening. This is a modification to an existing dock/boathouse where I placed the pilings where they actually exist so that changes will utilize those, as possible. Strict rules about footprints and pilings there.  

Problem is that I drew a storage shed/bar area and all looks fine. I go to delete the shed (any of the walls) and everything disappears?? Note that the "band boards" are added on a separate layer as they are important to how this all works and for eventual roof layout. (Roof there now is a joke as both folks are pilots in case anyone is wondering)

So I can move the shed walls, no problem, but deleting any of them removes the entire deck and the band boards in render view, both of which are different layers than the walls I'm trying to delete. Can't figure out the relationship??

This is just a WIP but this is an odd problem I can't quite figure out. Ideas??

I suspected that perhaps was related to the "room" created being also a deck on a deck, but changing it also has effect of deleting everything??

Thanks,

Dock Changes Problem.plan

Pretty sure always, or as long back as I have been on forums??

Big tease by the way :rolleyes: , I thought someone had an answer to this.

I do have automatically rebuild deck framing unchecked and "keep deck framing after room is deleted" checked. Not sure if that has anything to do with this either.

There's something strange going on in your plan. I fooled around w/ it some. Might have something to do w/ the roof only covering part of the shed- which is a "Deck" room type also. I couldn't get room labels to show. I could get the dock framing to stay when I changed the room type of the shed to something other than "deck". Also, got the framing to stay when I selected No roof/ no cl'g for the shed. Could not select the shed room in a camera, but could select the dock room in a camera.

Very strange.

I messed around with it for about 15 minutes and couldn't find anything either.  Very strange.  Not sure why you want to get rid of the shed, but if you want to avoid redrawing the plan, another option would be to change the shed walls to invisible walls or put them on their own layer and turn them off. 

Lew, I think it's 25Mb.

Jim, that gives me something to look at. I tried changing the room type but that too caused me problems. The problem is, I think in part, that this is actually the way that these are built and I may have to think how does chief treat these items?? No idea.

Thanks Michael. I'm sending it in to support as well. Can't quite figure out how the walls on their normal walls layer, impact the separate "band board" layer I created or the deck rails which are technically invisible walls layer. Why is one impacting the other two is what is odd.

Sorry, almost forgot, you also have to extend the 2 deck edges that have been covered by the shed walls so they meet each other (which also requires placing a break in the shed wall that crosses one of those deck edges).  AND, I think you have to open that shed room twice during the process to check that aforementioned box. 

• Solution

Wow !! Nice Michael. I was trying what you said and you already had it. 

So I understand this, and perhaps for others to learn go forward, is there a "proper way" to place a shed on a dock (deck) to avoid this kind of issue? Is it that I need to avoid crossing the edge of the deck with any part of the shed? Or if so, create breaks first? Not sure still I know the answer, but you definitely solved the problem. For now, I need to avoid all structures on the deck or make a copy to experiment with first.

Thanks Man !!!!! :)