Truss Structure Setup?

ACADuser

99% of my roof trusses are pre manufactured trusses and sit on the wall with no 1-1/2" plate on CMU walls.

Top chord on trusses are 2x4 except for tile roof or long spans & then 2x6

They can be standard overhang or cantilevered overhang. Overhangs vary from 12", 16", 20" & 24"

Sub Fascia boards are 2x6 or 2x8 typically.

What settings are critical to achieve a true roof plane & fascia height?

Assume ceilings are 10'

post-2435-0-05704800-1413289970_thumb.png

I think "in" was a typo.  For ICF projects I frequently spec trusses to bear directly on the wall tops and use Simpson's META style embedded truss anchor which comes with a TSS plate which protects the truss from any moisture absorption from the concrete in the walls.  Perhaps something similar will be used for the block walls and anchoring trusses.

Yes a typo, ON the wall, exactly as described. Metal plate separates truss & concrete.

I have a plan with varying plate heights. As I try to adjust roof heights I am confused as to what the best method is.

There are two areas that need manual roof plane adjustments & auto roof keeps deleting the manual adjustments.

I wanted to move bearing height up & down & change the roof pitch as well to determine the optimum for this house.

Once I added interior walls, using the floor structure to adjust bearing plate height became troublesome.

At first I was using just large areas, calling them hall, living room & garages.

What method do you use to adjust plate heights to change the roof plane?

BellaVistaLot3-r3.plan

Currently the lower roof is supposed to be 10', at garage the floor is -6.

The higher roof on the main house is supposed to be 11'-8"

The high roof over the entry needs to be adjusted up/down to be high enough to allow the entry shed roof and not be too high for the tie in on the right side roof.

I may need to raise the 11'-8" roof to 12'-4" for a better look on the gable. It looks too tight where it is.

I'll be back later today.

Thanks

I haven't looked at your plan but the strategy I use for building roofs in Chief is to let the program build them for me according to the wall roof settings I input for each wall.  Once the roof is built, if there's any editing that needs to be done, then I go from their manually.  If you are experimenting with the look, I would suggest the same methods.

You should be able to control wall plate hgt w/ the cl'g values called out in the Room Spec dbx. Roof slope over a specific wall can be changed from the default in the roof tab of the Wall spec dbx. I like to keep a camera open & tiled w/ the plan so I can get immediate feedback on the changes. If it didn't work, try something else.

Once auto roofs have taken it as far as you can get it, turn auto roofs off & edit them manually.