Best Way To Build A Two Story Space?

4hotshoez

I have a two story great room with windows at the second level that is open to below, and I have a transom window above the first story patio doors that fall in both the first and second floor levels. At this point it would make sense to extend the first floor walls to the roof for this room only, which will allow me to get a wall elevation from the wall elev camera. However, what does this do for showing the walls and windows on the second floor? I know I could use the section tool to get an elevation, so the elevation is not a problem. I can show what was done in Softplan (CAD drafted) for the elevation to help explain the space. There is a second floor railing shown on the South Elevation right of the fireplace. The East Elevation cuts through several rooms, but I rather not show the rooms on the second floor, as was also not drawn in this example.

I am sure many of you have built spaces similar to this, so I would like to lean on your experience to make the model work without fighting against Chief to get what I need.

Thanks

post-2194-0-41345300-1413216517_thumb.png

post-2194-0-17638100-1413216525_thumb.png

Todd,

I would just create the upper area as a 2nd Floor Room "Open to Below.  The Windows really are not much of a problem as you can stack the transom windows above the others on  the first floor and mull them.

For the interior elevations I would just use a section view and mask everything but the interior with one or more filled rectangles.

Todd,

I would just create the upper area as a 2nd Floor Room "Open to Below.  The Windows really are not much of a problem as you can stack the transom windows above the others on  the first floor and mull them.

For the interior elevations I would just use a section view and mask everything but the interior with one or more filled rectangles.

My method also.

Todd,

Thank you Joe and Scott,

1. What do you mean by "mull Them"?

2. Are the filled rectangles placed over portions of the section view before they are sent to Layout?

3. Now, I also have another project coming up in a month where the great room walls are 12' tall, while the first and second floors are 9' tall. Would you recommend the same configuration of a second floor open to below, but with a lower ceiling/roof for the second floor portion for that room? 

Mull = join them together as one, i.e., "block them"

It is better to do the filled rectangles in plan ... if you move your view around in LO, then you'd have to separately move the rectangles as well.

IOW in the Section View in the Plan before (or even after) sending to Layout.  Do all CAD work in the Plan File - except your Layout Sheet Borders.