JBi-PDX

Setting "origin" or starting point for a tile pattern

Recommended Posts

I've been looking high and low for any tool or trick in CA X11 to do something that Autocad can do really easily - it's called "set origin" and used for hatches (yes, I know CA doesn't use hatches). When providing drawings to contractors, it's nice to show them exactly how a tile pattern or flooring should be laid out. This often entails the starting point for a material - is it centered in a doorway or starts in a corner, etc. I can't find anyway to do this in CA. Am I missing something? 

 

If this doesn't exist in CA, seems like it should be something to add in so that we can provide accurate technical drawings to builders. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JBi-PDX said:

Am I missing something? 

 

ct1.thumb.png.c2b6c195b2a59b4027b8ffc17ebd2646.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, solver said:

 

ct1.thumb.png.c2b6c195b2a59b4027b8ffc17ebd2646.png

That is what I was thinking too but I am thinking maybe he meant in plan view as he is referring to hatches is AutoCAD???

 

 

More information is very helpful when looking for pointers.  Just as Eric said if you setup your signature so we know which version and what hardware you are using, and give more details it will get you the help you need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone. I did mention that I'm using Chief Architect X11, but forgot to mention it's on a Mac and it's premier. I'll work on my signature.

 

In terms of the horizontal and vertical offset. This seems to be a fairly inaccurate way to move a tile pattern around once you've actually applied it. Whether in plan (like a tile floor) or elevations (tile showers), there must be a way to tell the system to start the pattern at a defined location (middle of a doorway or wall). 

 

The problem with the offset method is that CA applies the texture and pattern in ways that don't seem to make sense. If I apply a 4x4 tile to a wall, it doesn't appear to start in the lower left corner or middle of the wall. That makes using the offset nearly impossible. Too much guessing. 

 

I included an example of what I'm trying to do. The reason I mentioned Autocad is because I could just select the middle of the wall at the bottom and select "set as origin." So easy and effective. Hope this clarifies what I'm asking.

 

Jason

tile pattern.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rgardner said:

That is what I was thinking too but I am thinking maybe he meant in plan view as he is referring to hatches is AutoCAD???

 

It works in Plan and Elevation the same way....... and works nicely with WMRs , though can be a bit laborious for highly detailed work as you need a unique material for each wall or area you need different offsets. ( Copy the material in the select material DBX and rename)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JBi-PDX said:

Thanks everyone. I did mention that I'm using Chief Architect X11, but forgot to mention it's on a Mac and it's premier. I'll work on my signature.

 

In terms of the horizontal and vertical offset. This seems to be a fairly inaccurate way to move a tile pattern around once you've actually applied it. Whether in plan (like a tile floor) or elevations (tile showers), there must be a way to tell the system to start the pattern at a defined location (middle of a doorway or wall). 

 

NOPE , sorry 

 

1 hour ago, JBi-PDX said:

 

The problem with the offset method is that CA applies the texture and pattern in ways that don't seem to make sense. If I apply a 4x4 tile to a wall, it doesn't appear to start in the lower left corner or middle of the wall. That makes using the offset nearly impossible. Too much guessing. 

 

Chief is using the Coordinate Grid ...EVERYTHING is set from 0,0  

 

1 hour ago, JBi-PDX said:

 

I included an example of what I'm trying to do. The reason I mentioned Autocad is because I could just select the middle of the wall at the bottom and select "set as origin." So easy and effective. Hope this clarifies what I'm asking.

 

Unfortunately not an option at this time , I'd suggest you put in a Feature request in the Suggestions Forum , I am sure you will get many  +1s for the suggestion including mine.....

 

 

Mick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

 

It works in Plan and Elevation the same way....... and works nicely with WMRs , though can be a bit laborious for highly detailed work as you need a unique material for each wall or area you need different offsets. ( Copy the material in the select material DBX and rename)

Very true, I often overlook the settings in the fill area as usually I am not using them for anything that needs to be that specific for hatch.  If I am doing a layout for materials It is usually a wall elevation and just use the AMD button to adjust a backsplash or shower detail.

 

Of course I have a specialty estimating program that I work with for estimating flooring and tile work in particular as that is a portion of what my business does.  So I generally if am doing specifics like that am also doing the take-off and use its layout details as I am already having to set that point and get the BOQ for the shower so can do their 3d rendering or wall elevations details.  Not as nice as Chief's but still works quite well as I can layout the tile exactly as wanted and how the installer will need to install it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, rgardner said:

the settings in the fill area

 

It can also be done to a Fill for a "quick tile pattern"   

 

but I was referring to the Flooring ( or Wall) Material and changing it in that Material's Definition on the Texture and Pattern Tabs.

It does take a bit of messing around unfortunately as there is usually some trial and error involved.

 

Vector View  which uses the Pattern

 

image.thumb.png.5af0a73ada74ab9d6da1b2e7aa5bbe1a.pngimage.thumb.png.a90173a2415c7f735cb3b682cabdbd9e.png 

 

Standard View which uses the Texture......

image.thumb.png.e399a68f4c9b5675a7a5f2bb4f9a8edd.pngimage.thumb.png.ac23a9ce763da0fa973cd4b9d75a01e5.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First thing is to decide whether you want to use a Fill or a material's Pattern

  • A Fill can be specified for pretty much any polyline based object using the Fill Style tab for that particular object.  Fill styles can be set an an object by object basis. 
  • A Pattern can be specified only for each unique Material being used.  For multiple Pattern offsets, this would mean multiple Materials.  This is very easy to do using the Plan Materials dialog though.

Next thing is to decide which type of object to use.  This will vary depending on what the end goal is and on how much time you want to put in.

  • For Plan Views you can use a plain Polyline with its fill, a Polyline Solid with its fill, a Material Region with its fill, or any other number of polyline based objects with their respective fill(s).  Or, you could also use either a poyline solid converted to a solid or a Face which would allow you to actually use the Pattern in plan view. 
  • For Elevations and Sections you can use a plain Polyline with its fill, or any number of other object types.  Aside from the plain polyline though, you will mostly just be working with Materials and their Patterns in these views though.
  • For other 3D views you'll be limited to using just Materials and their Patterns.

Lastly (and to answer the main question posed), you'll have to shift the Fill or Pattern offsets.  To do this I use CAD Detail From View.  Just click on that tool and then take any measurements you need to obtain your offsets from that view.  Really pretty easy.  I typically use a line and just copy the line length to get a precise number.  2 additional quick tips though...

  1. If you're using a Solid or Face to show the Material Pattern in Plan View, you'll have to use an Orthographic Overview from View Direction>Top View to get a usable CAD Detail From View.  
  2. If you're using a Material and its Pattern, I suggest always setting the Texture offsets as well either manually or by checking "Keep Pattern/Texture in Sync" before making any changes.
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    27645
    Total Members
    6254
    Most Online
    ChiefUserTyMN
    Newest Member
    ChiefUserTyMN
    Joined