Interior Walls Framed on Angle Adjacent to Exterior Walls

kwhitt

I've got the attached situation.  I have tried getting clean miters between these exterior walls and interior partition walls without any luck.  I have tried breaking the interior walls where they meet the exterior framing along with reversing directions so that they won't reconnect.  Would someone please tell me how I go about doing this properly?  BTW - these interior walls on the angle will be removed in the new design, but I need to show the as-built conditions.  I've also attached the plan which I haven't gotten very far along on...  Thanks,  Kevin

Untitled 1.jpg

CHF_Vassiliou_12-19-19.plan

Not sure if it will help you in your workflow, but I usually do the as-built and the remodel as two separate files, doing the as-built first and then making a save-as copy as the starting file for the remodel. I then make a Cad from view detail of the floorplan in the as-built and then delete what I don't want in the CAD mask; making a layerset first for this purpose in the as-built file makes fast work of this. I then modify the line work, line weight, line style, etc. as necessary for the look/purpose I want, and then block those lines creating a CAD mask. I name the block and add it to its own layer. I then add it to my library or just copy it if you prefer. I then open my remodel file and past (or copy) that block using paste-hold-position and lock that CAD mask layer. Now, when I remove, change walls, etc. in the remodel file, the CAD mask/block will still show where the old walls were; remaining walls that don't change will still show in whatever look you want for them (I copy an existing wall usually and modify it for existing walls that remain). Add notations for clarification and done. You can do this about as fast as it took me to type this. Search the forum for "CAD mask", "as built" or similar and you should find several comments/suggestions of how others handle the as-built situation. CA doesn't really give us a good way to handle the existing walls in remodels, due to the way it is programmed, without workarounds - two walls cannot occupy the same space without workarounds, basically, and then not very versatile.

Thanks Eric.  That is exactly what I wanted to do.  Did you have to use invisible walls to make it work?  I guess I could use P-solids, but is Chief not capable of framing such a situation?

Ridge - Thanks for the reply.  I do exactly as you outline.  Chief has a great training video for this situation, but I still want the auto-framing for use in a glass house presentation.  My intention is not for two walls to occupy the same space.  The exterior walls have been framed with these angled walls to create corners for the kitchen cabinets as was popular in our area about 30 years ago.  These interior partition walls (2 x 4's) are mitered around the exterior 2 x 6 framing and I'd like to get Chief to do this as well.

6 hours ago, solver said:

You will see 2 Room Divider walls in the plan.

I usually just fiddle with these type of connections -- no real plan about how to make them work.

The 2 walls on the right I used Point-to-Point to move them to the corner.

CHF_Vassiliou_12-19-19 (eric).zip

Thanks again Eric.  I'll see if I can get it to work.  I appreciate the file.  Kevin

14 hours ago, solver said:

I usually just fiddle with these type of connections -- no real plan about how to make them work.

I have a handful of specific tricks I use, but for all intents and purposes, I typically do the same thing.  These are a few of my most common go-to methods for these situations though...

• Use small room dividers to force a break at a specific location.  It's best to find your desired snap point and then start drawing your room divider away from any other walls and then drag it to the wall, otherwise the room divider will usually try to snap to the same joint you're trying to avoid using.
  • Use the Edit Wall Layer Intersections tool
  • Use a Room Divider that is set to .01" thick to actually stop the walls from joining at all.  Basically you draw that room divider parallel to your exterior wall and maybe .01" away, then your interior wall runs into the room divider and never makes it to the exterior wall.
  • For the interior wall, use a very small section of the same wall type drawn perpendicular to itself to create a sort of end cap.  This can also provide a more controlled stop point and give additional wall intersection options.
  • Use multiple walls.  For example, use 3 walls instead of one...a drywall layer wall, a framing layer wall, and then another drywall layer wall.  When using this method, you also have additional options with regard to the following 2 items...
  • Use the Partition Wall setting
  • Use the No Room Definition setting

Anyway, don;t have time to get into all the nuances of each, but those are a few of my methods off the top.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, DzinEye said:

Another simple solution since it's for 'as-built' which you should only need a plan view for, is to just draw those walls using lines

Mark - very true, but I am trying to learn how to handle such situations.  Who knows, perhaps these angled kitchen walls will come back in style (hope not).  Thanks for your input.  Kevin