Possible to move out Upeer part of Ponty Wall a specified Distance?

wjmdes

Is there any way to adjust the upper wall of a pony wall to extend out further?  My only thoughts have been to add a airspace or non-visible layer on the inside of the wall.

image.thumb.png.7837c6bd50b90c0ea26ea95b771ac590.png

If I add the required width with a new material layer "air gap", it messes with the ceiling which I can get around if need be.

Capture2.thumb.JPG.b3b57724618bcf7fc29c11b530286351.JPG

Any other solutions I am not aware of.

I usually work with the wall layers and alignment check boxes. I will make the framing layer on the wall above checked as the "Foundation to Exterior of Layer."

1352481603_Crist2019-12-13_1.thumb.jpg.40e41b540d37983ff5fe968fe76b1169.jpg

I then make the foundation wall layers a little different as shown in the second image; works for me.

1869157968_Crist2019-12-13_2.thumb.jpg.5e2c0ba3a8c472e1c596829d1425284c.jpg

Note: I wasn't too concerned about the dimension layer being to the brick on the foundation wall as this project was an as-built. I would change the dimension layer to the concrete wall for new construction.

BTW - I always despise the outside of the mudsill being supported by the brick in this scenario. I prefer to have the main foundation wall align with the outside of the stud wall above and use a brick sill on top of the exposed brick. However, some builders around here don't want to go the extra cost to do it that way. And some just don't like the "look" and want the brick back under the siding.

Edited by Ridge_Runner
additional info

There are a lot of ways to deal with this type of thing outside using a Pony Wall.  Since you asked about the Pony Wall though, one other thing you can consider doing is rearranging your lower wall definition to put everything into the Main Layer.  Then you can Align Pony Wall at Main Layer Outside. 

On 12/13/2019 at 8:09 AM, wjmdes said:

Is there any way to adjust the upper wall of a pony wall to extend out further?  My only thoughts have been to add a airspace or non-visible layer on the inside of the wall.

If I add the required width with a new material layer "air gap", it messes with the ceiling which I can get around if need be.

Any other solutions I am not aware of.

See your other thread......  add the AirGap to the outside instead ...worked for me....

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/24582-half-basement-half-crawl-space-issues/?do=findComment&comment=197779

Mick.

14 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

See your other thread......  add the AirGap to the outside instead ...worked for me....

I got it to work with the air gap on the inside, but had the ceiling set back the distance of the air gap.  I will try it on the outside, Thanks.