mprovost129

Wood framed chimney on roof

Hi all. I'm fairly new to the software and have only been using it since October. I have a client who wants a wood framed chimney extruding from the middle of the roof up from the gas fireplace. I've tried a bunch of different options to make this work but can't figure it out. Can someone please tell me how to draw walls on top of the roof?

Thank you!

image.thumb.png.b9537053d1d1b5365afd7601c3e42b44.png

@dshall  Did a two part video on youtube about this.  He is awesome because he figures it out on the video for you showing you the mistakes of how not to do it in the program and they are very informative.  I just watched this one the other day.

Here is a link for part 1 

• Upvote 1

Read about Roof Cuts Wall At Bottom and Lower Wall Type When Split by Butting Roof.

I imagine the chimney framing extends down to the fireplace below, so the walls are not just sitting on the roof.

Think about the chase as a room -- set to Open Below on the 2nd floor.

OMG I was doing everything right. I just didn't have a hole in the roof. Thanks for the help!

Oh how I miss Scott's videos, you all should see the funniest video of all time, the waterfall video, Thanks Scott Hall for laughing and learning at the same time.

2 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Oh how I miss Scott's videos, you all should see the funniest video of all time, the waterfall video, Thanks Scott Hall for laughing and learning at the same time.

So Where is this infamous video then???

@dshall

19 hours ago, rgardner said:

So Where is this infamous video then???

@dshall

It could be gone for good.  RIP

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ValiantRyan
    Newest Member
    ValiantRyan

• By stevenyhof
      I have watched the video of ChiefSkills by Steve Nestor, "DORMERS - Auto and Manual Types"
      Trying to use the idea there to cut my walls out of the living space. I think you called it "Cheek Walls".
      See the real picture and the angled ceiling. That is what I am trying to do.
      Any thoughts?

SND1823 Klinke Residence.plan

• By StructEng58
      All,

I am working on a house that the customer wants a vaulted gable roof over the great room. I would like to get this gable roof to span the entire great room if I could, but can't seem to get the roof lines to work. I also don't want a very tall gable wall at the great room. See the below images to what I am talking about. I also attached the plan file for reference.

Any suggestions or help will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Chris
      Brundage.zip
    • By AJ_Wrangler
      having a difficult time getting the clear story wall done.  tried quite a few different ideas but none really worked well.  i drew in an attic wall but when i try to extend it forward it screws up the walls below.

Anyone know how to do it correctly?  i have uploaded a few pics of the area and my plan file.

thanks  andy

LL V5 floor framed v2.plan
    • By AlmiraDesign
      I am having a difficult time with the framing of the rafters; in regards to birds mouth specifically. I am looking for assistance as I have tried many different options in aligning them to the beams. Please help me! I'd greatly appreciate it!

Ps, I only began to notice the difference, when I changed depth of hip rafters to 3.5".

• By LCrosno
      I'm trying to create a roof similar to the photo. I can do the barrel alone, but can't figure out how to flatten the overhangs as show. Thanks!

Using Chief Architect Premier X10