Dimension Settings

TDS_Drafting

Is there a way to change the default dimension setting that dimensions to the bottom and left of an interior wall,

871942055_ChiefQuestion1.thumb.PNG.3543fb1617584b23b68b3b60fd620f8f.PNG

so that the default setting dimensions to the top and right of interior wall?

231736950_ChiefQuestion2.thumb.PNG.7f9613dc8e3898f6c232c05fe9615c9c.PNG

The reason I ask is that I was taught to dimension Interior walls to the top and right and it is very irksome that chief's default is bottom and left.

I can achieve the result I want by using manual dimension, but its irksome that there is no obvious way (to me anyway) to change that default.

3 hours ago, TDS_Drafting said:

The reason I ask is that I was taught to dimension Interior walls to the top and right and it is very irksome that chief's default is bottom and left.

I can achieve the result I want by using manual dimension, but its irksome that there is no obvious way (to me anyway) to change that default.

Oh crap. I always use the bottom and the left! That's how I preferred it when framing. Measure, then mark, then 'x'.  I dislike the idea of measuring, then marking, then backing up for the 'x'. And since we read left to right...why go backwards. There's lots of other builders here, I wonder what they prefer?

And no, no way to specify it that I know of.

There could be a number of items affecting it.  I would look at the wall types and see where the dimension layer is set to.  It "may" be on something other than the main layer or not the layer of the wall you are intending it to be.  See Pc attached.

It also could be which side the "main" side of the wall is drawn depending on what dimension layer you have the wall-type set for.   I have all my wall-types set to the dimension to the main framing layer of the wall-type and no matter which way I draw the wall, it always dimensions to the bottom left sides of the walls every time.   I would suggest looking at that dimension layer of your walls and see what it is set to.

I noticed when I set the dimension layer in my wall-type to the sheetrock layer (Layer 3), then it changed positions of the dimensions on the plan.

Capture.PNG

• 3 weeks later...

jbaehmer,

I tried what you suggested and changed the wall type setting which puts the dimension on the drywall as you said. That is not a good option for me, but I thank you for the suggestion all the same.

It seems like chief would have an option to decide where you want your dimensions to be no matter one's back ground or preferences. Anyway I can manage by dimensioning manually.

Automatic exterior dimensions can be set to locate Interior Wall Centers, the Primary Wall Side, or Both Wall Sides in the dimension defaults.

As far as I know, there is no easy way to change how the program defines what the "primary wall side" is.  And, as far as I can tell, no one has ever asked for us to do this differently.  You might want to submit a feature request on this.

There are several things you can do that might be faster than drawing all of your dimensions manually.  After generating your automatic dimensions, you could try the following:

- You could manually move the locate handle to the side you want.  You just need to be careful that you don't drag it to the wall surface though.

- You could use the Both Wall Sides option and then manually remove the side you don't want.  Just drag the locate handle away from the wall to remove it.

- You could try using the Reverse Layers tool on the interior wall.  This should flip the dimension to the other side for you.

Just be careful not to regenerate your automatic dimensions again or you may lose these changes.

• Upvote 1