New project

winterdd

My newest client is wanting plans for a metal building home. Im not sure what the craze is about because i got another possible client wanting a two story metal building home. Im a little hesitant on how interior wood stud walls will tie into a building like this but to begin, what exterior wall type would you guys start with concerning the attachment. (Example shown)

This job will be interesting. They hired a contractor who will provide their own plans JUST for the exterior four walls and the slab. I will come in and layout all the interior work. Im thinking theirs will consist of metal studs and such.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

Some people here are building them just like a pole barn, then studding the walls in between the poles with 2x4s. I think they're crazy.

Ive done several pole barns too. Lol im ready for a normal house on slab design again.

• Upvote 1

I've done several over the last few years. Like Chris, I usually do the pole barn structure with infill framing for the walls. I would question the builder if he is using metal girts; that is not the way to go in my opinion. You don't need them if you have infill framing. One watch out if you do the 2-story. If your pole barn trusses have the brace coming down from the bottom truss cord to the inside of the post at the truss-post junction, you will have to be creative how you hide that on the 2nd floor. They seem to never fall inside a wall line or a closet. In addition, the head clearance on the 2nd floor is really low at the exterior wall when you are only using a 16' side wall - been there, done that. You may have to lower your windows just to fit them in under the ceiling.

2 hours ago, Ridge_Runner said:

I've done several over the last few years. Like Chris, I usually do the pole barn structure with infill framing for the walls. I would question the builder if he is using metal girts; that is not the way to go in my opinion. You don't need them if you have infill framing. One watch out if you do the 2-story. If your pole barn trusses have the brace coming down from the bottom truss cord to the inside of the post at the truss-post junction, you will have to be creative how you hide that on the 2nd floor. They seem to never fall inside a wall line or a closet. In addition, the head clearance on the 2nd floor is really low at the exterior wall when you are only using a 16' side wall - been there, done that. You may have to lower your windows just to fit them in under the ceiling.

Im learning when to say no and not take on these type projects. This may be one of them. Lol

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

Im learning when to say no and not take on these type projects. This may be one of them. Lol

You can also make this really simple if you want. Don't model the building, just the interior. The metal building supplier should include all the metal framing necessary to support the interior finish of choice ( I assume drywall). All you'd need to do is draw your exterior wall as a 3 layer wall: exterior cladding, structural layer as a solid material, and drywall. Turn the outer 2 layers to dashed lines with no fill. If the metal supplier can't give you an exact thickness, then estimate and make a note that adjustments may be required on site.

As far as connecting wood frame studs to metal girts, self-tapping metal screws are all that should be necessary, and that should take a note only.

Note on your plan the exterior dimensions only and refer to supplier's shop drawings for structural plans and details.

Others here are referring to pole barns, but you mentioned a metal building so as far as the structure goes, there should be nothing for you to do.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1