DRyeHD

Truss Will Not Span Cathedral Ceiling Plane

I've created a cathedral ceiling over a living room but cannot get the trusses to span across all of it.  Per the attachment, they begin properly at the back of the living room, cross the peak of the cathedral ceiling, then stop at a roof pitch change.  I've tried rejoining the roof planes and ceiling planes but am not able to figure out why the truss stops at the roof pitch change.  My truss top chord is 7 1/8" for insulation purposes. Any ideas or suggestions?  I will send the plan file if needed.

TrussIssue.jpg

10 minutes ago, DRyeHD said:

I will send the plan file if needed

Usually best to do so.

There is no room for Chief to build a truss where those two roof planes come together.

Move one of the ceiling planes down making room, and the truss builds.

ct1.thumb.png.e2107998996d8176ea81fb11aae1c40f.png

• Like 1

As you show, I tried moving the front ceiling plane down a couple of inches.  I need the bottom of each plane to sit on the 8 foot top plate and the ceiling plane peak to be in the middle of the living room.  I've also tried dropping the slope from 6:12 to 5:12 with no success.  I see where the problem lies and will create the space somehow.

Thank you for taking a look.

I would check with a truss manufacturer to see if they can even build this.

I'd just change the roof. Easy to get some depth (and room for insulation) where it's needed.

ct1.thumb.png.ff0e4eb1631adc84793d14a1b1342765.pngct2.thumb.png.f85e8d80f07c3f9249f2c290baa701dd.png

javatom,

You are right about checking.

The main (6:12) roof bears on the front and back walls. As Eric mentions, I should be able to gain some depth somehow.  I will post what I come up with.

I was able to get a 4 1/2:12 cathedral ceiling plane to allow the truss build (13'-6" at the ceiling peak).  Now to see if the truss maker can do it.  Thanks Eric and javatom!

TrussFix.thumb.jpg.e481e15d58eb044526a94348d50f85d4.jpgTruss.thumb.jpg.e9bd5b908f0e689385860e3e313f9f1f.jpg

Just an aside, I don't think they'll be able to create that.  There's a significant moment at that interior peak.  I suspect they'll ask to build a girder truss at the interior peak then hang truncated trusses on each side.

21 hours ago, DRyeHD said:

Truss.thumb.jpg.e9bd5b908f0e689385860e3e313f9f1f.jpg

Yeah, if you get a truss company to agree to build that, I don't think I would buy trusses from them.

I don't think they will be able to either.  I submitted it to them yesterday.  We will see if madcowscarnival is on the right track.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    sawallace64
    Newest Member
    sawallace64

• By RichM1
      Summary: We're creating a vaulted tray ceiling in a house that started as a double-wide mobile home. I want to model the existing "trusses" so that I can figure out how to do the rafters to frame out the new ceiling. I cannot figure out how to do this though. 

Details: 
      This house started out as a double-wide mobile home. It's been remodeled several times, huge portions added, walls rebuilt in places, rooms moved, walls removed. But the roof structure through the middle of the house is a 2.5/12 pitch, framed as follows: 2x2 rafter, 2x2 joist, 16" OC, with 12" pieces of 1/4" paneling used as gussets every 12". The tall wall has 1/2" plywood as a ridge beam.  I attached a drawing that shows each side. 

I tried changing the rafter and joist settings to 1.5" x 1.5", but it insists on building roof framing with 6" rafters floating above the walls, and framing the tall wall with studs that are in the room wall below. 

I tried to manually draw the framing in like the CAD detail drawing I attached, but I can't figure out how to rotate the 2x2 rafter to the 2.5/12 pitch angle. I figured I'd draw one "truss" manually, and then replicate/copy it across every 16". But after about 6 hours (admittedly I'm new to this app) I still couldn't figure it out. 

I put both sides together, and added the 2x6 rafters and 2x4 cross brace. Then we plan to cut the trusses back flush with the rafters and brace. The wall will be coming out of the middle. There's no code here, unincorporated county, so no building inspection to send this through.

Is there a way I can take this CAD drawing and use it for the actual rafters - extrude the 2D shapes into 3D? 

• By Inkwell
      Trying to create custom curved at bottom trusses 24" wide and show them on interior.  I'm only doing the interior of the room
      Any help appreciated!  I'm very new to this.

Thx!
    • By MN_JohnH
      Trying to figure out how to manipulate this upper cord on this log truss so that it meets the king post and bottom cord. Or how to do it right if it can't be manipulated. Seems like I have done this with log rafters in the past but I can't figure out how...
      Log truss.plan
    • By robdyck
      Has anyone experienced the cross boxes for diagonal truss members displaying backwards in section view? If so, any fix?

• By j2narchitecture
      Hi.

I created roof trusses using the roof truss tool.  I am not sure why the are not displaying in the camera views - even when I have "all on" in the view set.  

The trusses show up on the floor plan and in the cross section/elevation view. 

In the photo, you will see the roof extensions that I created using 3d boxes displaying, but the main roof trusses (TR1) are not showing.

Also,  I was originally able to create the trusses using the truss tool.

Now I get an error "Could not create roof truss at this location because no roof planes were found" and I did not change any of the roof/ceiling specifications.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you kindly.  -Jason