Truss Will Not Span Cathedral Ceiling Plane

I've created a cathedral ceiling over a living room but cannot get the trusses to span across all of it.  Per the attachment, they begin properly at the back of the living room, cross the peak of the cathedral ceiling, then stop at a roof pitch change.  I've tried rejoining the roof planes and ceiling planes but am not able to figure out why the truss stops at the roof pitch change.  My truss top chord is 7 1/8" for insulation purposes. Any ideas or suggestions?  I will send the plan file if needed.

TrussIssue.jpg

As you show, I tried moving the front ceiling plane down a couple of inches.  I need the bottom of each plane to sit on the 8 foot top plate and the ceiling plane peak to be in the middle of the living room.  I've also tried dropping the slope from 6:12 to 5:12 with no success.  I see where the problem lies and will create the space somehow.

Thank you for taking a look.

javatom,

You are right about checking.

The main (6:12) roof bears on the front and back walls. As Eric mentions, I should be able to gain some depth somehow.  I will post what I come up with.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Pav-Arch
    Newest Member
    Pav-Arch

• By Travis-Garcia
      I cannot seem to figure out how to make this exposed gable have the same shiplap siding on it that the house has. I built the patio piece by piece using framing members and added roof planes and ceiling planes then added the gable. Now II cannot figure out how to add siding. 

I'm using Home Designer Pro 2021

• By Doug-ib
      First post here, this is my first attempt at roof truss. As you will see in the PDF attached the gables that are on the front of the duplex are being supported by the truss that are running in the vertical direction. I am wondering if this is normal as i cannot seem to create truss for the gables on the font of the home. If there is a more effective means of building roof truss for roofs of this style id love to hear them.
      truss question.pdf front view.pdf
    • By OnlineBuilder2
      Can anyone tell me why my roof trusses are not showing when I draw them in on this plan? I've watched every video and cannot work them out. The closest I came was getting trusses with vertical studs/gable end style. 

Uploaded them to online docs due to size: 
      https://docs.zoho.com/folder/3onryc107a88f1fbb41cfa7e7edf28c57f7d1

Also, I am trying to show 22mm battens on top of the truss, and attached to the ceiling for the wall plasterboard to attached to (Australian style). Does anyone know how to set this up? see attached 

Using x12. 

• By rblack135
      I'm using Home Designer Pro and trying to overlay perpendicular roofs but cannot find the truss base tool. I assume the program does not feature this tool and I'm required to try and create overlay with poly's. Is there another way and if not, what version of CA would I need to purchase to access more advanced roof tools (I am manually setting roof trusses). 
    • By mborean
      A lot of my work involves trussed roofs.  After building the trusses, I frame the roof for the facia and varge rafters.  Problem with this is that CA adds ridge boards that don't exist in trussed roofs.  There doesn't seem to be a way to frame without ridge boards or to set the ridge board dimensions at 0.  If there is a work around, I'd love to hear it.

Also....  Is there a way to frame a roof where one roof California or over frames over another roof.  In my previous CAD, I could trim the bottom of one roof to the top of another and the framing acted accordingly.  This program even added a valley plate on top of the lower roof and below the rafters of the upper roof.  That may be too much to ask for, but one can only  hope.

Love to hear what y'all have to say.

Thanks in advance.