NVIDIA Quadro

johnny

So i know Chief folks said get gaming graphics cards, but I am assuming that is primary for "standard" views and perhaps PBR?  Anyways, i notice when a Chief file is loaded up with all the framing and notes things get slow just in the 2D plan view panning around - and I have an incredibly fast system.  

My question is, does anyone know if the Quadro cards would help with this aspect?

Would surprise me if a Quadro card would make any significant difference. When I looked at this issue it seems that the problem is related to the time it takes to recalculate all of the vector graphics, this is a CPU function and from what I can tell it is predominantly single threaded, high core count CPU's won't have a significant impact.

The 2.6 GHz clock speed of the i9-7980XE chip is not " incredibly fast", it's actually quite slow for Chief which likes a fast clock speed versus more cores of which that chip has 18. Not saying that's your problem but it would be way down the list of chips I would choose for Chief.

A Quadro card will probably not help as Graham suggests above and you already have (2) 2080 ti's? 

I thought you also had a i9 9900K system? If so try it on that and see what's different.

If you want you can send me the plan and we can compare my current AMD 3900x to your CPU to see what we can see. Happy to help.

25 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

The 2.6 GHz clock speed of the i9-7980XE chip is not " incredibly fast", it's actually quite slow for Chief which likes a fast clock speed versus more cores of which that chip has 18. Not saying that's your problem but it would be way down the list of chips I would choose for Chief.

A Quadro card will probably not help as Graham suggests above and you already have (2) 2080 ti's? 

I thought you also had a i9 9900K system? If so try it on that and see what's different.

If you want you can send me the plan and we can compare my current AMD 3900x to your CPU to see what we can see. Happy to help.

The i9-7980XE is overclocked - like most should be.  I also have the i9 9900K (home office system) and its overclocked and a great chip, but the i9-7980XE outclasses it without question.

Is it worth $1,500 more for the i9-7980XE - that I would say no....but anything CPU intensive and the i9-7980XE stands out.  I'm sure the X299 architecture plays a part in that too.

Just now, johnny said:

The i9-7980XE is overclocked - like most should be.  I also have the i9 9900K (home office system) and its overclocked and a great chip, but the i9-7980XE outclasses it without question.

Is it worth $1,500 more for the i9-7980XE - that I would say no....but anything CPU intensive and the i9-7980XE stands out.

I thought you had a 9900 and good to know. Hope you get your problem solved.

1 minute ago, HumbleChief said:

I thought you had a 9900 and good to know. Hope you get your problem solved.

Yeah, I can overclock the i9-7980XE to nearly 5GHz - but I typically run around 4.6.  Again, if I had to do it all over I probably would have just stuck to the i9 9900K for both systems since I dont think I get 3x the price/performance value.  The i9 9900K is a great chip.