Hello,

My "My Documents" folder on my work computer is actually on our server, and I know CA is not meant to be used over a network. I would like everything Chief Architect uses "My Documents" for to go in a different folder. How do I re-direct everything that references "My Documents"? I have started a folder on my hard drive called "CA My Documents" and was hoping to use that as the replacement folder. I have already moved all the CA files and libraries that I can find, but chief seems to look for that My documents folder sometimes.

Thank you,

Lee

X10

45 minutes ago, LeeDrafter said:

Hello,

My "My Documents" folder on my work computer is actually on our server, and I know CA is not meant to be used over a network. I would like everything Chief Architect uses "My Documents" for to go in a different folder. How do I re-direct everything that references "My Documents"? I have started a folder on my hard drive called "CA My Documents" and was hoping to use that as the replacement folder. I have already moved all the CA files and libraries that I can find, but chief seems to look for that My documents folder sometimes.

Thank you,

Lee

X10

folder preferences are in edit/preferences/general/folder/

1 hour ago, Renerabbitt said:

folder preferences are in edit/preferences/general/folder/

Thank you Rene, I was able to change almost all of those to my hard drive. But when I clicked "Show" all program paths, the bottom program path is still set to "My Documents", and I don't know how to change it. A snip is attached.

Thanks,

Lee

snip.PNG

This is difficult to tell, where could the settings be ... they could be just anywhere .... :)

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Chief Architect Inc\Chief Architect Premier X10.ini

• Upvote 1

On 6/18/2019 at 10:12 AM, LeeDrafter said:

Thank you Rene, I was able to change almost all of those to my hard drive. But when I clicked "Show" all program paths, the bottom program path is still set to "My Documents", and I don't know how to change it. A snip is attached.

Thanks,

Lee

snip.PNG

Chief normally stores all the User Files in the Chief Data Folder which it usually keeps in My Documents, if you are worried about it being on your Server I wouldn't be keeping my Data Folder on OneDrive either. Keep it local and back it up to OneDrive instead.

M.

• Upvote 1

On 6/20/2019 at 1:09 AM, Kbird1 said:

Chief normally stores all the User Files in the Chief Data Folder which it usually keeps in My Documents, if you are worried about it being on your Server I wouldn't be keeping my Data Folder on OneDrive either. Keep it local and back it up to OneDrive instead.

M.

Thank you, the one drive folder is within the hard drive, then it gets backed up to the one drive cloud. So I think we are ok there.

I am wondering if I can change the path to "my documents" to refer to a different folder. My work server is set up so that all computers' "my documents" folders are on the server. I think Chief automatically looks for "my documents" for certain things. I am hoping to change that to a different file location that is not on my server. I read an article this morning that lead me to believe this is possible in version X11, but maybe not previous versions. Is that right?

On 6/19/2019 at 8:07 PM, BrownTiger said:

This is difficult to tell, where could the settings be ... they could be just anywhere .... :)

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Chief Architect Inc\Chief Architect Premier X10.ini

Thank you! I had to take a 2nd look at your post, but I think we can re-direct things now that you pointed out that ini file. 

12 minutes ago, LeeDrafter said:

Thank you! I had to take a 2nd look at your post, but I think we can re-direct things now that you pointed out that ini file. 

FYI Chief locating the My Documents Folder is simply that, it locates the folder for default settings which would store data at that location. As soon as you relocate your Data folder CA no longer looks to your My Docs folder...there is no need to mess with it

The original post is old news now but...  I've never not used CA over a server for file storage.  At the office its unnoticeable, plenty of high-speed transfer.  At home office I now connect via VPN to that server (rather than a mapped cloud drive).  Its a little slower opening, and saving, but other than that no problem.  I have had situations where I forget to close out a file one evening, VPN logs out automatically the next day, get back to the program that evening, log in again, and no issues with corruption etc.

3 hours ago, LeeDrafter said:

There is not much magic to this... Chief reads that ini file for all locations.

User%20Settings%20Folder=C:/Users/<BT>/OneDrive/Documents/Chief Architect Premier X11 Data/
Shared%20System%20Library%20Database%20Folder=C:/ProgramData/Chief Architect Premier X11/

Manufacturer%20Data%20Path=C:/ProgramData/Chief Architect Premier X11/Manufacturer Data/