Most OnlineNewest Member
So this is more just an FYI, but my current IMac that I use does not support X12 due to older video card and older OS system. So was looking to get a NEW computer and have loved the reliability of the IMac, but was frustrated the the latest IMacs that were just released still had subpar video cards. So have been doing a lot of research with Chief Architect Help Desk, Apple, and other PC manufacturers like Dell/HP and just wanted to share in case any other Chief Users out there were looking to invest in a New Mac.
The end result is this: the current AMD Pro Vega video card in the 2019 IMacs will run Chief X12, but Chief is moving towards all their platforms using "ray-tracing" video cards that support Direct X, or the Metal platforms. The Nvidia RTX 2080ti card is one of the best cards on the market to support the Direct X platform and ray tracing. However, Apple only uses AMD chips at the time. (and yes you can use add on hardware that reads the Nvidia card, but not looking to invest $3800 in a new IMac, and then have to use an EPU to get the graphics correct). So Chief advised that IF I wanted to stay with Apple products, they advised waiting until later this year to see if AMD and Apple's new releases will have the "Metal" platform on their graphics cards, which will support future versions of where Chief is headed.
Therefore, although I hate not upgrading and using X12, and I considered switching to a PC, which are very good, I decided to wait it out and see what Apple does later this year with their upgrades and newer video cards with AMD. Here is a link to explain more of the Metal platform that Apple is using. https://developer.apple.com/metal/
Since I had done so much research, just wanted to share with anyone who was looking to get a new Mac this year. Again, current Macs will support and run Chief great, I just wanted to make sure that when I invest in a new computer, that it will still run Chief upgrades well 2-3 years from now. Hope this helps!
Chief architect works great on my work computer and my home laptop. However, when I VPN from my home laptop to my work computer, Chief freezes on the start up screen. We work all of our chief files from a server at the office. I can access and work on anything else from the server, but chief always freezes up immediately. What can fix this? Faster internet upload/download speeds? Something else? THANKS in advance!
I have a new laptop. I have installed my Chief X5 from disc to the new laptop,then updated it. My old laptop still has all of my Chief X5 plans, files, and textures. I exported .calibz files easily and loaded those to the new laptop. However, I am missing quite a few User symbols and textures that did not seem to install correctly. I thought my .calibz export/import would have taken care of that. So, where can I locate the missing ones in my file system on the old laptop, and then where do I install in the file system on the new laptop (I'm assuming a copy to thumbdrive and then paste to the new laptop) so that missing textures can be discovered by Chief?
Thanks for any help that you can offer. I did not find a specific answer in doing a forum search, some that were similar, but not exactly what I needed.
I currently use an HP Pavilion Elite HPE desktop, almost 7 years old.
Quad core i7 firstname.lastname@example.org GHz 20 GB Ram, 2 sticks new this year 1.5T Seagate HDD New GeForce GTX1060 w/ 6GB 2 monitors Running Chief X9 Windows 10 64 bit.
Something is going on with the system. I've done checks of the RAM and HDD for physical problems, they are ok. I'm getting BSODs and various other errors.
Have a computer person sweep everything clean and install a fresh copy of Windows 10, then reinstall all my programs, etc. (I thought about doing it myself, but I would probably make things worse), my person estimated about $1700 to do all of it. Buy a new system, $2k or more would be the budget. Advice? Am I beating an almost dead horse to keep the one I have? What would you buy in my price range? NOT HP or Dell. I am done with HP and Dell products.
I need to decide pronto. I am leaving for a week's vacation Saturday, and can give up my desktop to be fixed while I'm gone.Been shopping online, but haven't narrowed it down yet.