Playing With Dormers, Could Use Some Help

4hotshoez

I have been learning roofs and dormers and have run into a few problems. 1. when edit the room to have no ceiling I see the sky as shown, but the exterior of the model shows it with a closed gable. How can I fix this?

2. The framing layer is bleeding through the finished wall, but the AutoDormer is placing walls for me. How can I fix this?

Thanks

removing the ceiling shouldn't show the sky ....it should show the framing and sheathing layer.....

I sometimes see the framing showing too and depending on roof pitch etc have found the rafters etc the wrong size....

no image attached either

Here is a  pic,  your dormer on the left,  mine on the right.  I do not understand why dormers have to be so tricky,  but they are.  I have done many vids on this,  (chief tutor.com)  if interested.

I do it a certain way,  manually built always,  maybe someone else can do it better,  if they can,  I wish they would share the secret.

post-50-0-99766800-1411164114_thumb.jpg

your "missing wall"  in the gable is I believe cos you are using the Floor camera instead of the FULL Camera  ,at least for me it there with full not with Floor in your test plan....

not sure why the drywall is missing of the ends of the dormer walls , I thought you meant the framing was sticking thru the drywall in the ceiling.....

dshall, I did watch the video if  that is what you are implying by reposting the same message. I was needing some clarification of the dormer wall as it has been tricky to do what I want as Chief tends to second guess my every move.

Todd,  after watching the vid,  can you now build the dormer?  When you built the initial dormer,  you did not build it the way I would build it.  If you are asking me to explain why yours is not  working,  I cannot explain it.  All I know,  is by using the method I use,  I can make it work.

If you build the dormer the way I suggest,  and it still does not work,  post what you built and I will look at it.

I do not know how to do it any other way.  I do not know how to do it using the method you initially used.  

You say you need some clarification,  I do not know what clarification you need.  I can not help you if you build it the way you initially built it.  I am sure there are many other users that can make it work the way you did it,  but I can not.

Oh, you mean dormer hell, that's normal.  You're going along in a plan thinking I'm going to actually make this one pay off, then you spend 3 hours making dormers look right inside and out.   Yeah maybe next time you'll remember all the work arounds that you did to make that look right....not.   I"m only creating modern houses without dormers these days--haha. Sorry lady, Chief boy don't do dormers anymore--I wish that were the case. 

The dormers walls or cheek walls are on the floor or cut by the bottom of the roof, But I noticed that yours do both like it should. I can now build a manual dormer, but I am likely missing a small step that makes the difference. I will attach another file I am working on, if you don't mind looking at it.

Scheme03.plan