Offset A Polyline

ACADuser

I have a U shaped polyline & want to offset it 12 units, not copy.

The new object should be 12 units larger tha\n the original.

Also why when moving an object using the point to point move the command quits when I try to pan using the middle mouse button during the command?

I asked you if you had tried the transform/replicate/resize tool?  I didn't really state that CA doesn't have an "offset command" ... if that is something that you've used with another program, I probably don't have a clue what you are talking about because I haven't used other CAD programs myself.  You might look in the manual and see if you can find out more information.  I don't have a clue how you would use an offset/resize command.  Maybe Chief has one under a different name.  Chief can make offset copies using the multiple copy tool but I don't think it will resize them in the same operation.  I could be wrong.

Also why when moving an object using the point to point move the command quits when I try to pan using the middle mouse button during the command?

Yeah, that's a PIA for sure.

You can zoom in/out w/your mouse wheel w/out losing it though.

At least w/ my mouse anyway.

Yes the zoom works, Why can't they fix that?

Looks like a lot of these 3D programs are weak when it comes to standard CAD tools. :(

The space bar to quit a command is killing me when I switch to ACAD. I programed my 2nd left mouse button so I can stop that habit.

But in ACAD I use it to switch drawing files & now that is anoying me. I guess I need a mouse with another button.

Which some of the Chief keys could be reprogramed. Frustrating!

Have you ever tried working with two "mouses"?  I do it on occasion, mostly when working close in and doing CAD work.  I have an older Kensington trackball (with a big base) that I keep hooked up all the time and go to it when I don't want to have to move the mouse itself around on its pad.  Sometimes when I am tired of using my standard mouse on my desk top, I will put the Kensington in my lap where my arm and wrist can relax a bit more and use it that way instead of my Logitech.  Years ago there was one (or more??) Chief user(s) that reportedly used two "mice" all the time and swore by it.  That is when I started experimenting and using two off and on.  I suppose that if a person diligently used two continuously (like learning a foreign language), you could get good at it.  I just never have made that commitment myself.

Yes the zoom works, Why can't they fix that?

Looks like a lot of these 3D programs are weak when it comes to standard CAD tools. :(

The space bar to quit a command is killing me when I switch to ACAD. I programed my 2nd left mouse button so I can stop that habit.

But in ACAD I use it to switch drawing files & now that is anoying me. I guess I need a mouse with another button.

Which some of the Chief keys could be reprogramed. Frustrating!

Yes, there could be some improvements with the CAD tools but the biggest thing for you to overcome is to stop trying to use Chief like it was Autocad! Vastly different. With Chief you have to do things from a 3D mindset whereas in Autocad its all about lines, circles and arcs. 2D. I use both programs, along with a touch of a couple others, and what I find is that I had to decide which program was going to be my "primary" program and then start thinking in that way versus just what I had always done before. My choice is Chief and now when I use Autocad, which is unfortunately too often, I can't help but realize how antiquated it is! 

The use of 2 very different programs such as what you are doing can be a real challenge at times. Mentally. If you want to use Chief primarily then I would suggest stop trying to make Chief work like Autocad. Spend that time instead learning how to better use Chief. Yes, change some of the key commands to what you already know where you can but beyond that let it go. Learn how Chief works and go down that road....., or not. It really is a choice we make. Best of all to you in the process!

Sound advice Gary.
My problem is I have two classes of clients.  Yes, Chief is different and that is why I am using it. The housing and small business clients want 3D in there drawings or at least in the presentation documents.
My other client is an engineer & does small bridges, aircraft hangers, drainage structures, mechanical parts, etc. Some of his work requires that a CAD drawing be turned in at completion.
No 3D required for him or even perspective's. I don't see Chief doing the many details & rebar layouts in top, side & section views needed.

As fast as Chief is in creating the 3D model Autocad is equally fast at manipulating CAD objects.
I was using AcelliARCH (2000 version) for the 3D housing but it's following has wained & I see Chief as a developing product with plenty of life in the company.
AcelliARCH is an add on to CAD and therefore uses the CAD interface which is Heaven to me. But the rendering in Chief is hard to beat.

The fact that you still need to create & edit 2D details in Chief means you must deal with the clumsy tools provided for 2D.
Too many years using ACAD I guess.

I hear you loud and clear! I too do some work for an architect and a couple of engineers. They want everything native autocad. Because I have used autocad, and generic cad before that, for so long I can do required 2D detailing much faster besides there being so many more tools to work with. I am getting faster with Chief and its CAD tools though as well but for the type of work you are referring to I wouldn't bother. Can it be done? Yes, I do believe that once you know Chief in depth you could do most everything but you would have to think waaaay outside the proverbial "box".

With the type of work you do, thinking about it as if it was my situation, I would probably just resign myself to having to become very proficient in 2 totally different types of drawing programs. Make the setup as comfortable as you can and push past the "I wish" type of self talk. Another thought for you is to customize the commands as well as you can in Chief to mimic your autocad setup and then modify autocad to mimic what you do in Chief for the "other" commands. That would probably get you as close to a common setup as you could get. Just a thought...., I don't know though as it would require even more change!  ;)  :D 

• Upvote 1

With the type of work you do, thinking about it as if it was my situation, I would probably just resign myself to having to become very proficient in 2 totally different types of drawing programs.

Chief is such a valuable tool. I had seen it demonstrated at K & B shows for a year or two in the early '90's. I purchased V. 4.7 and haven't looked back. I realized that its CAD functions were lacking, but being comfortable with ACAD, I did con docs that were in two parts. I used the same border and title block for both portions. I think it was version 8 that converting to .dwg came out. The speed for design and presentation remains CA's forte. I began using ACAD for con docs after that. You have an advantage with ACAD knowledge in that CAD detailing is so efficient. 

post-69-0-08098800-1411230046_thumb.jpg