dskogg

is there a min drawer size?

Recommended Posts

i have built a spice drawer but when i make cabinet 6" wide my 4.5" spice drawer disappears, any reason why?

spice closed.jpg

spice open.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does this one have any effect ?

 

image.thumb.png.0fc11410b12eac9fd8ff2c8b98ef0767.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I changed min cabinet size to 2” it didn’t help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, dskogg said:

I changed min cabinet size to 2” it didn’t help.

 

You may need Mark to wade in as I am not a Cabinet Guru sorry....

 

@MarkMc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, dskogg said:

have built a spice drawer but when i make cabinet 6" wide my 4.5" spice drawer disappears, any reason why?

Might have an idea if a plan was here.

6 in po.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i used a revit shelf spice drawer and same thing happened when i went too narrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have grid snaps turned on in cabinet default and in plan, making the one cabinet 5-3/4" instead of 6" (I never use grid snaps working with cabinets).

At 6" it shows back up.

It appears 6" is minimum which makes sense to me. The narrowest manufactured PO that go into a cabinet mfg is 4-1/2" (and that has glides on one side only). In wood the narrowest is 5", below that they are filler pullouts. Sure maybe someone could make something narrower to fit into a cabinet box but why.

pos.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

You have grid snaps turned on in cabinet default and in plan, making the one cabinet 5-3/4" instead of 6" (I never use grid snaps working with cabinets).

At 6" it shows back up.

It appears 6" is minimum which makes sense to me. The narrowest manufactured PO that go into a cabinet mfg is 4-1/2" (and that has glides on one side only). In wood the narrowest is 5", below that they are filler pullouts. Sure maybe someone could make something narrower to fit into a cabinet box but why.

pos.png

Thanks Marc, so you turned off giid snaps in cabinets( i changed it to .5" increments) and turned off grid snaps in plan, but once that is done what did you do? i made door over size so it hangs over cabinet on either side by 3/4" so the drawer hides gables and doesn't look like a drawer, so if i make cabinet 4.5" wide, drawer face will be 6" wide and i will have a drawer that is about 3" wide fit into 4.5" wide cabinet...

 

Did you resave my custom spice drawer with grid snaps in plan and cabinets off?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I turned snaps off in both, resized cabinet to 6" -may have changed minimum cabinet size or size increments but don't think I did that until I tried to get something narrower than 6".
 

4 minutes ago, dskogg said:

i wwith ill have a drawer that is about 3" wide fit into 4.5" wide cabinet...

I wouldn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a cabinet my company made i am trying to replicate. we use 5/8" birch plywood for cabinet boxes

MARVEL HOOD.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Marc, not sure what you did but i turned off grid snaps on plan and in cabs...ca wont show drawer if cabinet is less than 6"...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dskogg said:

wont show drawer if cabinet is less than 6"...

 

1 hour ago, MarkMc said:

ears 6" is minimum which makes sense to me. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, it doesnt make sense for ca not to show drawer below 6" cab width, it it woks it works...

A 4.5" cabinet with 5/8" sides will give you a clear 3.25" opening, then you could use top and bottom mount slides and a 3" wide drawer.

 

I thought i was doing something wrong but it looks like ca has chosen not to show drawers in cabinets less than 6" wide when open.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, dskogg said:

Thanks, it doesnt make sense for ca not to show drawer below 6" cab width, it it woks it works...

A 4.5" cabinet with 5/8" sides will give you a clear 3.25" opening, then you could use top and bottom mount slides and a 3" wide drawer.

 

I thought i was doing something wrong but it looks like ca has chosen not to show drawers in cabinets less than 6" wide when open.

- then account for the thickness of the drawer sides?. I  gave you my opinion.. to me it makes no sense to build it (with or without drawer sides-waste of money and function) so why show it.

If you really want to show it make the symbol with the door and corbel on it-lock the dimensions and change the origins then place it as a rollout shelf instead.

4 in wide po.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

here is the hood, making the cabinet door on spice rack any wider than 6" makes it too fat...

hood spice closed.jpg

hood spice open.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    27865
    Total Members
    6254
    Most Online
    RichRidgewood
    Newest Member
    RichRidgewood
    Joined